iii. hunters and prey

act two, chapter three – hunters and prey

"I want you guys to forget everything you think you know about the games

"I want you guys to forget everything you think you know about the games. Last year was child's play. This year you're dealing with all experienced killers," Haymitch briefed the latest victors.

Peeta nodded. "Alright. What does that mean for us?"

"That means you're gonna have to have some allies." Haymitch sighed.

"Okay. I think that if..."

Haymitch stopped him. "Woah. You're not the problem," he says, wordlessly pointing to Katniss

Katniss shook her head. "No."

"Look, you're starting at a disadvantage. Most of these people have been friends for years."

Katniss rolled her eyes and looked up to her mentor. "That just put us higher in their kill list."

Haymitch sat down beside the couple. "Do it your own way, but I know these people. You go it alone, their first move is gonna be to hunt you down. Both of you."

"How could any of us even trust each other?"

"It's not about trust, it's about staying alive."

A handsome, blonde, muscular victor was waving at the crowds with an assured smirk.

"Finnick Odair, right?" Katniss raised her brows.

"Yes, he won his games at fourteen. Youngest ever. Extremely humble."

Katniss snickered. "You're kidding?"

"Yes, I'm kidding," Haymitch exhaled. "He's a peacock, a total preener." He flipped his hair dramatically. "But he's the Capitol darling, they love him here. Charming, smart, and very skilled in combat, especially in water."

"What about weaknesses?"

"One: Fallon Black. But I wouldn't call her a weakness exactly." He chewed his inner cheek.

The next video showed a redhead with a grim smirk decorating her lips.

"Won her games at fifteen and volunteered for Iris. Notably talented with anything pointy," he joked, but it didn't land in the tense room. "She's a fighter and also adored here in the Capitol. She's Panem's best girl. They call her 'Widow.'"

Peeta bounced his leg and even Katniss's stoic expression faltered at the duo from Four. Haymitch switched the TV to show them hugging and whispering into each other's ears, but the noise was muted.

"Three words: tons of sponsors. They are deadly on their own but fatal together." He warned, urgency glaringly evident against his usual casual tone. "Do not test them. I'm serious." Katniss and Peeta must've caught onto the severity of this situation when Haymitch betrayed his usual sarcasm. "If you don't plan on being allies, run in the other direction." Haymitch waved his finger between Katniss and Peeta.