xii. tick tock

act two, chapter twelve – tick tock

When she wakes up, the sky is light and there's a bowl of fresh shellfish and two bowls of water. Katniss seems to have just risen before her, but Peeta is still asleep. There's a pile of shells to Finnick's side.

"Thank god," Fallon slurs and dives in for a fist full.

Katniss goes in for one too, but she stops at the sight of her fingernails, caked with blood.

"You know, if you scratch you'll bring on infection," says Finnick, echoing her from earlier. 

"That's what I've heard," she retorts. Simply, she dunks her skin in the saltwater. "Hey, Haymitch, if you're not too drunk, we could use a little something for our skin," Katniss dares at the sky.

Instantaneously, a beeping noise redirects her attention to the sponsor gift floating down. Inside was a salve, a dark color and thick. Katniss plops a scoop of it into her leg as she massages and moans the contact. She tosses it their way and with a second's hesitation, Fallon rubs over the affected areas of her body. It tints it slightly green, and smelt pretty bad, but the relief it gave her was immeasurable. The combination of the scabs and the twinge of the ointment looks like a a bruise rotting.

"It's like you're decomposing," says Finnick, hesitantly treating his own skin after Fallon.

"Aw, poor you two. Is this the first time in your life you haven't looked pretty?" Katniss says sarcastically.

"Oh, yeah. It's horrible. I feel bad that you've had to live like this for sixteen years," Fallon retorts.

"The sensation's completely new," Finnick replies.

"Just avoid mirrors. You'll forget about it," she says.

"Not if I keep looking at you," he responds, looking annoyed at the new complexion. They continue to slather themselves down, even taking turns rubbing the ointment into each other's backs where the undershirts didn't protect their skin.

"I'm going to wake Peeta," Katniss says.

"No, wait," says Finnick. "Let's do it together. Put our faces right in front of his."

Fallon can't help but feel a childish sense of happiness. With lives like theirs, there's not much opportunity for fun. To her surprise, Katniss agrees. Finnick and Fallon go on either side while Katniss goes above his head. They're just inches away. Peeta, who has been resting, lies peacefully against the floor.

"Peeta. Peeta, wake up," Katniss singsongs. His eyelids flutter open and he instinctively jumps back, eyes wide with fear, as if the Careers ambushed him.