xi. salt in the wound

act two, chapter eleven – salt in the wound

"Run! Run, the fog is poisoned!" Katniss screams, her voice raspy. Making contact with it was enough to make the smell of burning flesh fill Fallon's nose.

Disoriented, Finnick picks his head up from Fallon's lap to see Katniss on her feet, wrapping the parachute and spile around her waist. His survival instinct must've kicked in and in no time he was on his feet and alert. Immediately, Fallon grabs the group's supplies and springs up, looking for options of what they could possibly do. Finnick grabs his trident and Fallon does the same with her machete.

Ominous gray mist swirls towards them like a ghost. It hung over the ground and weaves up through the air. Peeta, highly confused, joins the parade and the four of them run down the twisting path, bushing off the branches that slap their skin. There was a slight path in the opposite direction and they race down it, praying to outrun the fog. Every once in a while Fallon would glance back at the approaching mist and it crept closer. Leaves and twigs crunch under their feet. On the right, the fog dances their way and continues to advance from the back. It begins to emerge from all directions except in front of them. Finnick and Fallon trek right while Katniss and Peeta run to the left.

Katniss trips with a grunt, not getting up fast enough to escape unscathed by the fog. Peeta runs to her side to shield her, crying in pain when it contacts his skin. Noticeable boils sizzle and multiple over his body. The pair gets up and works their way down the slope, Peeta stumbling from the the fog inhibiting his functions and his metal leg. Finnick and Fallon meet them at the base of the hill, and when she sees him, Peeta writhes in pain. Now, there was some distance between them and the fog, so they have time to catch their breaths shortly and assess what to do with him.

Katniss looks up. "I can't carry him. Peeta, please. Peeta, please stand up. We have to go. Peeta, please!"

The fog is only feet away. Fallon shoves her machete in her belt and grabs his arm. "Get up, Peeta. I've got you." His skin sags and molds over his eye in a rather disgusting way.

Finnick holds his other arm and drags him off the floor. "Alright, come on."

They support his weight and he dumps his limp arms over their shoulders. Katniss wavers in front while Finnick and Fallon haul their feet forward. With every step, Peeta gets heavier and her legs feel weaker. The fog kisses their backs, making the three of them cry out in pain. Agony sears up the length of Fallon's body and she screams from the impact. It hits her legs, scorching them and rendering them useless. It's like acid. Burning flesh. Heart pumping to boils and blisters over her back. Unable to support Peeta anymore, Finnick and Fallon both double over, tumbling down an unnoticed hill and knocking down Katniss in front of them. The four of them roll down, grunting in pain from the severity of the fall. The injuries over her body burn worse on impact, some of the boils may have popped, which makes them ten times more excruciating. It was like comparing the expression 'salt in the wound' to 'chemicals on exposed organs.'