epilouge. forever and always

act three, chapter fifteen – forever and always

After Fallon was dragged away, more pandemonium broke out. Snow's body still tethered to the post. Opinions differ on whether he choked to death while laughing or was crushed by the crowd. All Fallon knows is that the wounds she induced started the agonizing course of his end and that's all that matters.

An emergency election was thrown together and Paylor was voted in as president. Plutarch was appointed secretary of communications, which means he sets the programming for the airwaves. The first big televised event was Katniss's trial when she was released. Fallon and Finnick join the hovercraft with Katniss, Haymitch, and Plutarch out of the wretched Capitol

"You must have a million questions!" Plutarch says. He's glowing. It looks like to him that everything went perfectly. Nobody responds but he answers them anyway. Then Plutarch has a good laugh. It never seems to bother him when no one else appreciates his jokes.

"Why? Another war to prepare for?" Fallon asks.

"Oh, not now. Now we're in that sweet period where everyone agrees that our recent horrors should never be repeated," he says. "But collective thinking is usually short-lived. We're fickle, stupid beings with poor memories and a great gift for self-destruction. Although who knows? Maybe this will be it."

"What?" Katniss asks.

"The time it sticks. Maybe we are witnessing the evolution of the human race. Think about that." And then he asks us if we would like to perform on a new singing program he's launching in a few weeks. Something upbeat would be good.

The plane lands briefly in District 3 to drop off Plutarch. He's meeting with Beetee to update the technology on the broadcast system. His parting words are "Don't be a stranger."

They soar among the clouds a little longer. Finally, they land in District Four.

Almost reluctantly, Fallon unstraps the belt. It almost seems too easy. Too kind for her to have gotten off the hook. But like Plutarch said, they're in a state of grace. Who knows when she'll have it again. More hesitant stops her when Katniss looks over at her. Even Haymitch. She can't find the words to say everything she wants to so she shoots her shot. "Do you guys want to come down?"

Finnick's back in high spirits. "The water's great. Better than that bathtub back home, Katniss," he teases.

A smile shoves away her chronic grief. Katniss is finally smiling again, giggling even. "No, the water's your specialty. Maybe if there was a coal mine I'd be in a place to negotiate."

The nostalgia is almost painful. Without thinking about it, she pulls Katniss into a hug. Not a desperate 'this is our last touch before you might die hug' like they did in the Capitol. It's sweet and kind and Fallon savors every moment of it. Maybe if she holds her tight enough she can try and take some of her pain away.

"Fine," Fallon surrenders. "But don't think you've gotten rid of us. We're taking a look at that bathtub soon enough," she grins.

Katniss ducks her head with her smile overtop all the intensity she must be feeling. Finnick shakes Haymitch's hand and Fallon brings him in for a half-hug. "Thanks for everything, Haymitch," Fallon says.

His shaggy hair flurries as he shakes his head. "Wouldn't be here without you two."

"The bangle was nice while I had it," Finnick says from behind him as they reluctantly walk down the ramp.

Even if Fallon knows the planes will return she can't help but feel like she's can never go back. She is walking away–she's walking away from Snow, the Games, and everything in between. She doesn't associate that pain with either of the people from Twelve. As they are on the ground, Haymitches yells out that Katniss's mother is there too. She's building a hospital. That will be a nice place for her father, Fallon thinks. The gray jet disappearing above hurts to witness.