vi. chained

act two, chapter six – chained

After an hour, Peeta was proficient enough with a machete for Fallon to let him go. He went to the fire building station after a sincere yet short thank you while she traveled to the weapons table and eyed the possibilities. Fallon had decided that she actually enjoyed Peeta's company, even if she couldn't she it. He had a gentle presence, contrasting all the destruction around him. It was refreshing compared to her cynicism, and event though they barely knew each other yet, she wouldn't be mad if they did. 

"I saw you help Peeta over there." Katniss stands by the other side of the table. Her comment comes out as more of an interrogation rather than an observation.

"Yeah. He's a nice guy," Fallon entertains neutrally, unsure of her motives. A part of Katniss reminds Fallon of when she first met Finnick. Rude and unpredictable, and someone who seemed to dislike her for no apparent reason. But she got to know Finnick and the reason why he acted like that to others; now she had to do the same to her.  

"Thank you for doing that." Katniss's face twists with a look she hadn't seen on her before. Maybe it was the quirk of her lip or how her posture softened almost inconceivably.

Fallon shrugs carelessly and runs her finger over the metal. "Not a problem," she responds, bordering on disrespectful. 

Katniss inches closer but all defenses are clearly up. "Why did you do it?" Her jaw is tense. Now, the closest she's ever been, Fallon can see her gray eyes swirling with something foreign. Dark and yearning. 

Self-concerned thoughts rush through her brain but there was only one she could — and wanted — to say. Fallon interprets Katniss's attempt at conversation as a signal that her plan was working. Fallon stands up to face her and turns assertive eyes to meet her gray ones directly. "Your fiancé asked to be allies during the Tribute Parade," she says monotonically, like the idea bores her. Fallon knows she's stubborn, but to her surprise, she settles without a fight.

She doesn't break eye contact but the harsh edges of her face slacken into a look of confusion. "Peeta didn't tell me that." 

Fallon scoffs, finally looking away. "Aren't you guys engaged?"

White washes over her already pale face. "We are." She nods, her voice barely wavering, focus setting on the table. "That was an impressive show." For once, she seems politely amused. "You're good with those."

"Thanks. You're not too bad with your bow either."

The corners of her mouth pull back to form a faint smile. "Thanks."