xiiii. united front

act two, chapter fourteen – united front

The morning carries over peace from the night before. Everyone eats their designated bread rolls contently, and Katniss teaches Peeta how to swim. Internally, Fallon thinks about giving them advice, but she doesn't want to interrupt another one of their moments. Because they're happy, and they deserve it. She's begun to appreciate their innocent love and not dismiss it as a result of her own negativity. 

"Hey, Finnick, Fallon, come on in! We figured out how to make you two pretty again!"

They nearly run into the water, taking turns rubbing each other backs, melting off the scabs and scars from the fog. Their skin is sensitive and baby pink, so another layer of medicine goes on.

"I think we'll all agree our next job is to kill Brutus and Enobaria," Beetee says mildly once they're back from the water. "I doubt they'll attack us openly again, now that they're so outnumbered. We could track them down, I suppose, but it's dangerous, exhausting work."

"Do you think they've figured out about the clock?" Katniss asks.

"If they haven't, they'll figure it out soon enough. Perhaps not as specifically as we have. But they must know that at least some of the zones are wired for attacks and that they're reoccurring in a circular fashion. Also, the fact that our last fight was cut off by Gamemaker intervention will not have gone unnoticed by them. We know it was an attempt to disorient us, but they must be asking themselves why it was done, and this, too, may lead them to the realization that the arena's a clock," says Beetee. "So I think our best bet will be setting our own trap."

"Wait, let me wake Johanna up," says Fallon. "She'll kill one of us if she thinks she missed something important. And I'm the least likely she'll ax."

After shaking her awake, they rejoin the circle. Beetee creates a diagram of a clock. "If you were Brutus and Enobaria, knowing what you now do about the jungle, where would you feel safest?" He's not trying to patronize the younger folk, but it's like he's tutoring a bunch of kids.

"Where we are now. On the beach," says Peeta. "It's the safest place." He stabs his machete into the sand.

"So why aren't they on the beach?"

"Because we're here," says Johanna impatiently.

"Exactly. We're here, claiming the beach. Now where would you go?" says Beetee.

"I'd hide just at the edge of the jungle. So I could escape if an attack came. And so I could spy on us," Katniss says.

"Also to eat," Finnick adds. "The jungle's full of strange creatures and plants."