viii. state of grace

act three, chapter eight – state of grace

Finnick was already training with his new trident in Special Defense when Fallon entered

Finnick was already training with his new trident in Special Defense when Fallon entered. He didn't notice Beetee and Fallon come in.

"When you were gone, I made him that," Beetee points to the weapon cutting through the air in perfectly executed circles. "Seemed to light him up. It was like he was here again."

On the table hundreds of feet underground, Beetee presents an assortment of blades. Knives, swords, katanas, machetes, you name it. On a stand, Katniss's bow is hung up. Fallon's tracing her fingers over the intricately carved metal, fashioned so sharply that the glint of the overhead lights reflects off their sheen.

Finnick grips the trident in his hand, stilling it, before jogging over to Fallon. "Hey," he says through a brief half-hug. Noticing how her eyes are back on the knives, he says, "I asked Beetee to make those for you. I know you'd love them once you came back to me."

Warmth burns in her cheeks. With him, the muscles in her face started to ache because she was smiling so much. They'd been out of use for weeks in the Capitol. "You're right. I do love them."

Innocently, he grinned down at her and Beetee explained. "These knives are special. Just like Katniss's bow and Finnick's trident. Say 'good morning' to activate them and 'goodnight' to turn them off."

Finnick's arm loosens around her as she grabs one. In hand, she stands at the start of a lane with a target at the end. "Goodmorning." It buzzes and hums in her palm. As soon as she grips it, the fear that her talent had faded without practice vanished. Naturally, she aimed it forward and it sunk into the bullseye in a fraction of a second, even with the distance.

"Perfect," Beetee says, mainly to himself.

As she throws knife after knife forward, Finnick twirls his trident on the mat. It's calming and empowering to feel good at something; to have a part of her identity return to her like it never left. They spend the whole day there, letting Beetee examine his projects in action. Strangely, the normalcy of training brings comfort rather than fear the fear it used to induce.

⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼

Aris during his stay in Thirteen had become the model of a soldier. He never missed a session, followed every order, and was the best in his class alongside Katniss's best friend Gale. Coin and Boggs were already considering upgrading him past training status which was not a small feat considering their requirements. He's always been an objective, strong fighter but the riots must've forced him to grow up early, along with having to take care of their father's condition all alone.

"How do you like Thirteen?" Her brother asked, diving into his lunch rations. Even though Thirteen was incredibly strict and uncompassionate, they let him eat outside the Dining Hall and visit his sister in her hospital room.