x. devil's advocate

act three, chapter ten – devil's advocate

Laughter changes to screams and real smoke darkens the special effect stuff made for television

Laughter changes to screams and real smoke darkens the special effect stuff made for television. A second explosion seems to split the air, making Fallon's ear ring.

Homes whips at the first aid kit and Katniss ducks to him. "The Holo," Boggs orders.

She retrieves it, wiping it clean with bare hands, and returns it to the commander. His blood seeping through the bandages was uncontrollable. The rest of the squad has gathered in a protective formation around the crew and us. Aris is attempting to revive Messalla, who was thrown into a wall by the explosion. Jackson barks into a field communicator, trying unsuccessfully to alert the camp to send medics, but it is already too late. It starts to hit Fallon, at first a small wave then a tsunami. She'd grown to care for Boggs. If the mission was meant to be just for propos and this could happen so suddenly...

A green shaft of light bursts out of the Holo and illuminates his face. He says, "Unfit for command. Transfer of prime security clearance to Squad Four-Five-One Soldier Katniss Everdeen." It's all he can do to turn the Holo toward her. "Say your name."

"Katniss Everdeen." It traps her in its light. Images flicker rapidly. "What did you do?"

"Prepare to retreat!" Jackson hollers.

Aris is yelling something back, gesturing to the end of the block where they entered. Black, oily matter spouts like a geyser from the street, billowing between the buildings, creating an impenetrable wall of darkness. It's thin, similar to water, but it has a slushy, oozy feel that looks sticky. Surely it's lethal. Maybe it's the black stuff they pumped into her in the Capitol. There's no heading back the way they came.

Deafening gunfire rains as Gale, Aris, and Leeg 1 blast a path across the stones toward the far end of the block. A bomb explodes, forming a crater in the street. Homes and Katniss latch on to Boggs and begin to drag him after Gale. Finnick weaves his arm around Fallon and they run as a single unit to the rest of the group. Blackness is rising above the buildings, swelling, rolling towards them like it has a mind of its own.

Somehow, in the blink of an eye, Peeta shoves Katniss into the stones. Eyes wide, teeth bared. And the same fear-response begins to grab Fallon. First, it is like the start of a simulation. She can't lose anyone else today, not after Boggs. Then, it's that Peeta's 'mutt' side won't stop until Katniss is dead.

Peeta's gun raised over Katniss, descending to crush her skull. Fallon dives into Peeta, slamming down to the ground, rolling in a tumble of bodies. She's pinning him to the ground, forcing his writhing to stop under her weight. Spit spatters from his mouth as he screams. "Peeta!" she commands forcefully.

The tracker jacker insanity only slightly dims. Footsteps grow their way and the blackness is surging closer. Hands rab the back of her arms and drag her on her heels back. "Come one!" Finnick orders in her ear.