viiii. jump then fall

act three, chapter nine – jump then fall

The remaining days go by in a whirl. After a brief workout each morning, the squad of sharpshooters heads to the shooting range full-time in training. Fallon, for the sake of the mission, practices mostly with a gun, but they reserve an hour a day for specialty weapons. This means she gets to use her custom knives, Katniss her Mockingjay bow, Gale and Aris their heavy militarized ones. The trident Beetee designed for Finnick has a lot of special features, but the most remarkable is that he can throw it, press a button on a metal cuff on his wrist, and return it to his hand without chasing it down.

Thirteen has thought of everything possible when it comes to training. Sometimes they shoot at Peacekeeper dummies to become familiar with the weaknesses in their protective gear. Spy out their vulnerabilities. If flesh is hit, you're rewarded with a burst of fake blood. The dummies are soaked crimson.

It's reassuring to see just how high the overall level of accuracy is in the squad group. Along with Finnick, Aris, and Gale, the squad includes five soldiers from Thirteen. Jackson, a middle-aged woman who's Boggs's second in command, looks kind of slow but has an incredible eye for things miles away. Farsighted, she says. There's a pair of sisters in their twenties named Leeg–nicknamed Leeg 1 and Leeg 2 for clarity. Two older guys, Mitchell and Homes, never say much but can shoot the dust off your boots at fifty yards. The other squad's training are also impressive but the status of the sharpshooters is unclear until Plutarch clarifies.

"Squad Four-Five-One, you have been selected for a special mission," he begins. To kill Snow, Fallon thinks. She bites the inside of her lip in anticipation.. "We have numerous sharpshooters, but rather a dearth of camera crews. Therefore, we've handpicked the eight of you to be what we call our 'Star Squad.' You will be the on-screen faces of the invasion."

Disappointment, shock, then a rush of anger runs through the group. Everyone there had the most reason in all of Panem to fight. They were made for it. "What you're saying is, we won't be in actual combat," snaps Gale.

"You will be in combat, but perhaps not always on the front line. If one can even isolate a front line in this type of war," says Plutarch.

"None of us wants that." Finnick's remark is followed by a general rumble of assent. Fallon can't find the words to engage because fire is biting at her skin. "We're going to fight."

"This group is made up of the best Soldiers you have who deserve to fight," Fallon bites. If Plutarch wouldn't let her, she'd do it herself.

"You're going to be as useful to the war effort as possible," Plutarch says. "And it's been decided that you are of most value on television. Just look at the effect Katniss had running around in that Mockingjay suit. Turned the whole rebellion around. Do you notice how she's the only one not complaining? It's because she understands the power of that screen."