viii. the train never stops

act one, chapter eight – the train never stops

As soon as Fallon got on the train, she knew the ride lasted forever

As soon as Fallon got on the train, she knew the ride lasted forever. On Tour, it felt just it had when she was reaped. A cracked glass desperately trying to prevent the water from spilling out. Each time it got more chipped. As they landed, each time stepping onto the stage made her throat catch as she read the cue cards and her body feel numb. The curious glances from the citizens; the ghostly look of families with one less person. The screens projected shimmering, holographic versions of the deceased, starting right into her eyes.

As they travelled, Fallon prepared for the worst as she was meant to visit One and Two. The Careers not producing a Victor was bound to make them angry. Pair that with all of them caged in front of her and her reciting a fake apology was a recipe for disaster. Mostly, in the other Districts, sparse, unenthusiastic claps would follow as she trailed off the stage. That was merciful. Not here.

Returning to the train car was by far her favorite part of the Tour. The crowd consisted of Iris, Mags, Callum, and of course her mentor, Finnick. Mags usually fades in the background, but her presence was always pleasant. In the months she spent in the Village, the Victors had eagerly welcomed her into their family.Fallon still hadn't told them about Snow's visit. She hadn't even told Aris. The other Victors must know that he came, though, because he had visited them all too, probably with a similar message.

Something about District 4 produced beautiful Victors. Golden complexions, flowing hair, and enticing eyes. They all carried the weight of being a Victor, and another thing about Four seemed to be that their coping mechanism was to feign confidence. Maybe that was why they were all fan favorites.

The sound of shuffling Peacekeepers sounds behind Fallon as her team touches up her appearance. The other Victors have congregated in a hushed huddle by the corner, fixing their hair and biting their nails. Fallon tries to pretend that their nervousness doesn't rub off on her but it always does. A particularly loud noise or sudden movement made her wince, even before she went on stage. Through the Victory Tour, she's been digging her nails into her palms so often that the scars never healed and the dried blood would just crack off every next time.

Neptune finishes preparation, and to Fallon's disdain, she has to go out in a few minutes. Out of the corner of her eye, she can see Iris and Finnick gesticulating and raising their voices at Zelda who was throwing a tantrum. Callum balls his fists up, veins tensing out, and huffs against the wall, silently screaming at the escort with just a look.

She can hear Finnick plea, "Can you make an exception–"

"No. It's not the rules! Frankly, it'll be worse if you all go out–"

"Zelda!" Iris exasperates. "You know what they'll say."

Zelda squeezes her shadowed eyelids shut in exasperation. "Yes, Iris, I am very aware. But she has to–"