viiii. savior complex

act two, chapter nine – savior complex

She didn't have time to think before she dove headfirst, reaching her arms through the choppy water, kicking her feet as fast as she can. Approaching the rocks, Fallon hoists herself up and sprints to the center of the island. The other tributes are all struggling in the water, not even close.

Neptune was right – the suit is light and movable – but water and sweat makes it cling to her skin. The Cornucopia was the same as it always was: a fabulous gold horn, blinding by the blazing white-hot sun above. Inside and around were assortments of different weapons resting on crates or bars.

Fallon grabs the closest machetes and straps a belt of throwing knives around her waist. Despite the blinding sun impairing her vision, nobody seems to be near. As she expected, she and Finnick would be the first to arrive at the Cornucopia as most of the tributes had never even seen water before, let alone could swim. She wasn't scared yet. She has weapons and the area is in her domain of the water. Knowing that he would have the same mindset reassures her greatly, and the fact that all the other tributes know this as well. 

Sprinting to the other side, Fallon grips the machete tighter. Like an animal on alert, her senses are sharpened to every motion. Some victors run up the bridges but they were far enough away. They fumble over the jagged rocks and Fallon was certain that before they arrived she would be far from the Cornucopia.

When she pivots her position, an arrow directly aims at her chest. Katniss, on one knee, narrows her eyes. Her hair is slicked down her back and her breathing is heavy, almost frantic. Fallon is mildly impressed that she even knew how to swim. Katniss doesn't bother to speak, instead keeping the string and arrow securely by the side of her cheek.

Dexterously, Fallon pulls Peeta's necklace out of her suit. The reflection of the sun against the gold sends a beam outward. "Wouldn't do that if I were you." Casually, she pulls a throwing knife from her belt and looks away from Katniss.

The knife sinks into an incoming tribute's chest, causing him to collapse to his knees then sideways into the lulling waves below. Boom. The lack of burning in her chest proves she doesn't regret it, or even care. There was nothing. 

Fallon looks back at the Katniss who hadn't moved, airing still readied. Lines of confusion settle into her young skin. "Where did you get that?" she demands, giving Fallon a slight nod of her chin.

She spins her machete through her fingers and looks out for more tributes. "I know a guy."

Footsteps shift their lines of vision to Finnick fingering the tridents on the rack. Katniss twists and doesn't bother to unload her arrow. A grin grows on Fallon's lips at the sight of him glistening in the sun with a trident poised to attack.  He's smiling a little, but the muscles in his upper body are rigid in anticipation. "You can swim, too," he says. "Where did you learn that in District Twelve?"