xv. death by a thousand cuts

act two, chapter fifteen – death by a thousand cuts

Beetee reveals the rest of the plan as he laces the coil around the lightning tree. "Minimal charring. It's an impressive conductor. Let's get started." Beetee walks up to the base and starts to wrap his coil snuggly around the trunk, crisscrossing it with the branches. "Typically a lightning strike contains five billion joules of energy. We don't want to be anywhere in the vicinity when this hits," he warns. Since Johanna, Katniss, and Fallon are naturally lighter on their feet, he assigns them to take it.

"You three girls, go together now. Unspool it carefully. Make sure the entire coil is in the water, you understand?" He makes brief eye contact with the three of them. "Then head to the tree at the two o'clock sector. We'll meet you there."

Protectively, Peeta walks to Katniss's side. "I want to go with them as a guard."

Fallon couldn't stifle a laugh. "Guard? Look, not to be mean or anything, but with your leg, I think you'd just slow us down. We're capable enough, we don't need one."

Beetee nods approvingly. "She's right. You're too slow. Besides, I'll need you on this end. Katniss will guard," confirms Beetee. "There's no time to debate this. I'm sorry. If the girls are to get out of there alive, they need to move now." He hands the coil to Johanna.

"No, I need to go with her," Peeta raises his voice, slight urgency lining his tone.

"Johanna and I are going with her," Fallon reiterates. At this point, she can't help but be a little annoyed. "You've seen us fight and you're fiancés not too bad with a bow." Katniss shoots her a glare. Fallon didn't care if she was being crass; she was saving their lives at risk of her own.

"There are two careers out there, I need two guards," Beetee reasons.

Peeta straightens his back. "Finnick can protect you just fine on his own."

"Yeah, why can't Finnick, Fallon, and Johanna stay with you and Peeta and I take the coil? Extra security," Katniss proposes.

"Don't you think I want to stay with Fallon?" Finnick stabs the hilt of his trident into the ground and accusingly stares at her as he forces hit weight into it.

Beetee inches closer. "You all agreed to keep me alive till midnight, correct?"

"It's his plan, we all agreed to it," Johanna sighs.

Finnick leans into the duo from Twelve, eyebrows furrowing. "Is there a problem here?"

"Excellent question," Beetee stares at Katniss.