xiii. tears ricochet

act two, chapter thirteen – tears ricochet

"Katniss, help me!" 

Katniss stands up apprehensively and talks back to the sound. "Prim? Prim!" Without a seconds hesitation, she sprints to the woods.

Once again, her survival instinct and rationality were overpowered by the need to keep Katniss alive. "Katniss!" Fallon chases after her deep in the trees. She meets her standing in a clearing, gazing up at the sky. "Katniss-"

Another scream cuts her off. Automatically, it hits her, like a missile crumbling everything around it on impact. Fallon! Help! Help me, please!"

Aris. Blood stopping. Muscles tensing. Hair-raising. A feeling of primal desperation to save him overcomes her. Heart-ache and breathlessness burn her lungs. "Aris!" Fallon yells, her voice hoarse from the intensity. During her whole time in the Quell, Fallon had never felt such intense, consuming fear that tugged her gut down to her feet like a dropping weight.

Crunching leaves reveal Katniss next to her, bow in hand. "Fallon, it's not him, he's not here."

"No! Help me, please." Barely hearing what she said, Fallon abandons the girl next to her and continues to run down the clearing. The knife molds in her palm against her tight grip.

Katniss comes out from behind and tries to slow her by putting a hand on her shoulder. "It's just a Jabberjay, they're not here-"

Fallon's breath is ragged and animalistic. "No, it's not him. But the voice was his. Jabberjays mimic what they hear. Where did they get those screams, Katniss?" she spits. Some carnal instinct to find him consumes her like a wave. 

Katniss's pales. "Oh, Fallon, you don't think they..."

"Yes. I do. That's exactly what I think."

"Katniss, no!" A male voice cries out. 

She turns her head. "Gale?" she whispers confusedly, looking up at the sky, ready to sprint.

By now, a part of her has accepted that they can't actually be here. The fear doesn't leave her but her thoughts begin to clear. "It's not him, Katniss! It's a mutt! Come on!" Fallon grabs her by the arm and leads out like a dog on a leash.

Emotionally and physically overstimulated, Fallon tries her best to focus on keeping her legs moving forward. A swarm of dark birds circles before diving sharply down, jabbing their beaks into their skin and trying for their eyes.  Despite the girls frantically swatting them away, they barely move before attacking once more. As more of them came down the voices of their loved ones grow louder and louder to a deafening degree. Doubling in intensity. Her eardrums pop and balls of stress gather in her temples, begging her body to shut down.