Chapter 1: Private Conversations and Fake Injuries

All stories have villains, monsters that scare little children, people who strike fear into your heart with just a glance. Devils, monsters, cruel people, villains. But what about the villains who aren't evil? The ones who you can sympathize with? The ones that only scare you because you can imagine doing the same things? The villains who surprise you when they turn bad? Those are the worst villains, and this story has a villain like that. Our story starts in a bright city, with a boy and his team, fighting for their government, and believing the world is fine as is. But our story also starts with a girl and her team, fighting desperately against the government for their perfect world. We're going to start with the girl.....

Andromeda

I wince stretching my shoulders. I'm wearing my black practice gear, emblazoned with a silver stripe across the chest.

"Why in Raziels name did I agree to fight Leo?"
Lyra, tall with dark skin and even darker braids, grins. "Because you wanted a distraction?"

"Ly.... can you get Caelum and tell him to meet me in the library?" I ask a slight expression of pain on my face.

"Yeah, of course Andy." Lyra moves to leave, her smile wiped away, replaced with concern. I stand once Lyra has left the room. I was faking the injuries to get space, and a reasonable excuse to talk to Caelum alone.

Caelum. He is the one person I can trust in this compound full of spies and soldiers.

Not that I'm not a spy. Or a soldier for that matter.
The history books say that this all began hundreds of years ago. At least, the whole kids are getting powers based on genetics. The controlling government and White Wings are recent. Only a 100 years or so.
----------------------------------------------
Some families, every 1 in a 100, were gifted powers hundreds of years ago. Manmade, biologically-changing powers. Families with powers quickly rose to the top - the entire government is made up of them at this point.

Soon, the powers became too much for the police to control. Imagine a mass murderer with the power to teleport. No need for transportation. No records for the police to follow.

That was when task forces of people with powers started. How better to fight people with powers than with powers?

Eventually, the government got a hold on everything. Lists of people with and without powers were made, as were facilities for people with them that couldn't be controlled.

But the government became too controlling. The people started to rebel. Then the soldiers came. Soon after, the White Wings. The government didn't have enough willing volunteers so they kidnapped children and teenagers. Anyone and everyone with powers. And trained them to kill.

I was almost one of them.

But my mentor, Diana Turner found me after my mother put me out on the street for showing my powers. She also saved me from the men that thought they could take advantage of a child.

It's not like I got them from her or anything. Yep, she kicked me out for showing the genetic powers she gave me. What a hypocrite.

Diana saved me from that, and in turn I joined the Icarus Guard. The one group of rebels that is solely made up of people with powers. The one group that dares to kidnap the kidnapped, and 'rehabilitate them'.

They act as if they just saved them. Saved them from serving a controlling government sure, but also from having a chance of surviving normally. Without almost being killed by the government and their former friends twice a day.

Lyra, Vela and Vega, and Leo were all captured from the White Wings. Caelum, Saura and I came from the streets. That's why they're the extraction team and Caelum and I are the spies.