Chapter 19: I become a Mermaid

Andromeda

I choke, coughing water from my lungs desperately. It's a mistake to cough. The water comes back in force, and I swallow even more. Vines encircle my legs, tugging me down. A dark wave washes over my head, pushing me down. Down, down, down.

The once friendly body of water has turned into my enemy. Twice as deadly as any human, and willing to kill me. About to kill me.

A wave of black washes over me and as I blink spots out of my eyes and struggle, I see him. Sebastian. Running away with his crew. Only sparing a single glance at me. Leaving me to die. Just like Carson.

I fumble, my fingers and movements slowed from onsetting hypothermia and water inhalation, I manage to grab my knife and cut the vines pulling me down. I will not die.

I push, as hard as I can, kicking and breast stroking up to the surface. It's not working, nothing's working.

A face swims above me, Christina. Strong arms grabbing me, pulling me up, using the water to lift us out. Someone pulling me onto the shore, and getting the water out of my lungs. Desperate calls. People saying my name over and over. Darkness pulls at me, and I let it take me.

Down, down, down.

~~~~~~~Flashback~~~~~~~~~

After the team building exercise, we all head to get food from the cafe. It's not like any of them have any actual appetite after that, but we could all use something normal. I'm starving from using so much power, but it's sickening to see your worst nightmares come true.

"Earth to Andy? Andy are you in there?" Cae asks, gently knocking his knuckles against my head. I smile at him in apology.

"No, this is an alien from planet Glorb," I reply jokingly, and he laughs at me. Christina on my other side, laughs too; a bright sound that fills the hallway. Its a welcome change from the silence that filled the room after our team building activity.

"Ya know, technically we would be aliens to them, right?" Christina says, still giggling. I nod, and grab her hand, swinging it up and down as we walk, and she rolls her eyes at me. She swings her hand though, and Caelum grabs my other hand and swings it too. Eventually we arrive at the cafe, and all thoughts of Sebastian have disappeared. And all of the thoughts he brings of Carson too, have disappeared.

Once we sit down, I'm sitting across from Sebastian, and Caelum is on my right side, Christina on my left.

"So you all know the lobster Sebastian's song from the little mermaid, where he's trying to convince Ariel to stay?" I say, and a chorus of nods follow, "well sing it in your head but try to make it as dirty as possible."

Everyone tries, and I see Topher's eyes light up once he gets it. He whispers something to Leo and they both burst out laughing. It takes a few seconds for everyone to get it, but eventually I have several people trying to hit me, and the rest laughing their heads off.

"And the dirty mind returns.." Sebastian monotones from across the table.

"It never left, and besides you love my dirty jokes!" I reply laughing, "just admit it!"

"Over my dead body" he says, laughing too now.

"I'm not into Necrophilia, sorry darlin'" I smirk, and as he realizes just exactly what 'Necrophilia' is his eyes widen and he puts his sandwich down.

"You are literally such a perv! And girls can be pervs too!" he exclaims, throwing a chip at me. I dodge it easily, and laugh even harder. At that second, a large warning bell goes off, and orders blare from the loudspeaker: "We are under attack. This is not a drill. We are under attack. White Wings are attacking. Order 214."