Chapter 21: The Untouchable are Proved Touchable

Andromeda

I'm covered in heaps of pillows and blankets, and the familiar sounds of Friends are streaming through a laptop down by my legs. I'm curled up against a person, Caelum.

"Hey there sleeping beauty," he says softly, and I groan as my body begins to ache again. Turns out drowning is not the best thing you can do for selfcare.

A very scared Cae told me that after I got sucked under, Christina saw me and went after me. She killed 4 guards, and got the water out of my lungs before anything really bad could happen. Then it was a mad rush of all the Icarus Guard rebels trying to get to the back-up facility where all the children are in case of a double attack. Christina and Cae stayed by me the entire time, because they weren't sure how much water I had swallowed or how long I had been under. A healer told them that a minute more and I would have had lasting brain damage.

Both of them have been taking turns staying with me, and last night Cae came in and we watched Friends. Evidently we both fell asleep.

It's been about 4 days since the attack, and footage tells us that they were after Sebastian and his team. They blew up the training building, and the top few floors of the residential building.

204 people were killed. 139 were injured. 13 are missing.

Diana stopped by to check in on us and debrief, and even untouchable Diana had been crying. Even the untouchable become touchable in times like these.

Christina and her sister had been training nearly every day for hours, despite Christina's reluctance to introduce her sister to the pain of battle, she wanted her to be prepared. She was picking up the crossbow very well, and enjoyed sparring with the double sticks.

Our new plan was to attack the White Wing base during their annual ball; my team would go in as White Wing supporters/dates, and there would be massive amounts of firepower waiting outside for our signal. We could get all the innocents out, and leave the rest for capture or retaliation.

There were few people here when we got here, mainly just the children, castle staff, and a girl our age that tended to the garden. We're now based in an old manor off the coast of Myrina, a small city about an hour away from Lampedo, where the old base and White Wing ball are.

We were supposed to have backup gear here but it got waylaid by White Wings, so all we have is medieval-type armour, and some bullet proof jackets. For the ball, we'll use bullet proof slips, and store armour in one of the closets for easy access.

Christina was overly excited, proof of which was when she showed me the gowns she has picked:

"LOOK HOW PRETTY IT IS!" she squealed, and I rolled my eyes at her enthusiasm for a dress.

"That's gorgeous Tina, but aren't you a little bit too excited for this? It is a mission after all." I reply, shaking my head.

"Oh shush, I've seen you get more excited over books. Now: should I wear these with these shoes or these shoes?" She asks, holding up two identical pairs of shoes.

"They both look the same to me," I say, and flop on the bed.

"It's a serious question Andy!" she replies, and I give her a 'really' face.

"I also have a serious question: where can I unsubscribe to your fashion issues?" I joke, and she flips me off.

"It's a never-ending subscription, sorry," she grins, finally deciding on a pair of shoes.

Christina picked a PSA/W2002 - Tulle gown with metallic map embroidery in black from the Paolo Sebastian Persephone collection for me. I had to admit, it looked stunning, with the soft tulle layers and the gold map details that stood out so elegantly. My mask was a simple black velvet, with soft gold thread detailing in a leaf pattern.

Christina's was reminiscent of a disney princesses wedding dress, soft, dusty rose/lavender, and elegant. Her mask was an elegant tangle of white metal interspersed with pearls. Her dress was a 'PSSS2102 - Bishop sleeve gown with godet skirt in white, also from the Paolo Sebastian Perspehone collection - apparently the dude owed us a favour.

Caelum had decided on a simple black suit and white mask, Lyra on a shiny rose gold layer dress and a rose gold mask, and Saura on a flowy blue to white tulle dress with gold flecks all over and a blue-white mask. Vega went with a gown with a deep red skirt that matched her hijab, and a pale rose gold top and mask. Vela decided on an emerald green dress, with a patterned top and a matching green hijab that set off her eyes perfectly. Leo, being Leo, went with an old penguin suit complete with tails and all, and he paired it with an orange bowtie and orange velvet mask.

We decided it was too complicated for some of us to pretend to be White Wings, because their outfits change every year and are kept under wraps until the day of the ball.

For weapons we all have various knives, Caelum has a folding crossbow, the girls have smoke bombs in our heels, Leo managed to fit his swords into his pants (ironic, I know), Vega tied her whip up as a necklace, and I have my sword on my back wonder woman movie style.

It's our final meeting, and after going over all that, there's nothing that can go wrong. Right?

"Does anyone have any final thoughts or questions?" Diana asks in a tone that makes us know we shouldnt have any more questions after all that.

"I have a thought. 'I've got a date with destiny, and it's not going to end in a kiss.' -Candace from Phineas & Ferb," I say, and Diana just gives a 'really' look at me.

"And this is a final thought because?" Diana asks, sighing.

"Because it's my prediction of what's going to happen," I say with a shrug, "and besides the mood needed lightening and it worked, didn't it?"

Diana doesn't bother to reply, only rolls her shoulders back and sighs. She might think I'm an idiot but I didn't sit through 50 'how to help your team do their best BEFORE and AFTER missions!' lessons for nothing.

Diana sends us out, and we head into the van, ready for the mission. They won't know what's hit them. Or maybe they will and this is going to be a suicide mission.

Wow, Andy ever the pessimist. Or is it me projecting?
BORING CHAPTER IK. But necessary, if this ever blows up besties better be saying 'none of your chapters are boring' im relying on you guys.
I DID NOTHING TODAY (i played pickleball and croque all day and watched Luca on Disney+)
LOVEEE! -Alexandra Waterwings