Chapter 13

I looked outside, the backyard was empty and all the lights were out in the neighborhood. The stars were shining like a million small space houses. The moon was on top of the sky watching over me and my house. 

I went downstairs to find my parents knocked out on the couch. I had never seen them sleep so peacefully, neither seen them sleep in the couch together. My step dad used to sleep there when they would fight. I slowly opened the back door to not wake them up. 

I felt the cold grass underneath my bare feet, it was almost christmas after all. The breeze made my night gown fly like a bird in the sky. My hair flew through the air and I felt free like nothing could stop me. 

I laid down in the cold grass looking up to the stars. Maybe you're looking up at the stars as well, where ever you are. Perhaps you're thinking about me and wondering if i'm doing the same. Maybe you fell asleep hours ago and I'm just here looking at the stars all by myself. Maybe you would think i'm crazy if I told you about how the stars remind me of us. 

From far away they look the same like we look like every high school couples to our parents. When you get closer to the stars you'll notice that they're all different like we're different from the rest. My parents keep telling me that I don't need you, Christopher. If they knew that we were all we had most nights, maybe they would understand. 

Us against the world. 

"Daisy what are you doing out here?" My mother ran to me in her slippers, she had mascara underneath her eyes and her hair was a mess.

"I'm looking at the stars, mom." I stand up from the wet and cold grass and follow her inside, she must think i'm insane. 

She followed me up to my room and put me to bed like she always would when I was younger. She stroked through my hair and kissed my forehead, I'm still her little girl even though I'm about to be eighteen. 

"Good night Daisy." she said as she turned off the light but left the door slightly open for light to come in from the hallway. I heard her quiet footsteps walk down to her bedroom on the other side of the hallway. 

The sun shined down on me causing me to wake up the next morning. It was time for school for the first time in a while. I wondered if Christopher would be there, probably not. My mom came into my room to brush through my hair and get me ready. She hadn't done that since I was little but today was a special day.

The runaway teen was back, and she needed to be pretty right? At least that's what my mom thinks. She even forced me to wear the blue dress with stripes that she bought for me for my 10th grade graduation. She told me it would make me look younger. 

She drove me to school and all the kids at my school centered around me like I was some type of celebrity. People's phone cameras was always pointed towards me, they probably posted it to their private story. 

Madison had never even spoken to me before but she was eager to follow me to my math class, first period. Her blonde curly hair shined in the sun like the stars that I had watched. She had never paid attention to me before, she had been the cheer captain since freshman year. 

"Cmon!" She took my hand and walked fast past the crowd. She followed me to the door and then hugged me goodbye. She smellt like the smell of daises on the field me and Christopher went to. 

I sat down on the front row right where the teacher stood. I always used to sit in the middle but now everything was different. I wasn't the quiet girl no one knew about anymore, I was the center of unwanted attention.

Something caught my eye, it couldn't be? Christopher? He walked into the class with his arm around a girl. They kissed goodbye before he sat down right behind me. Was that his new girlfriend? 

"Christopher!" I turned my head towards him and whispered his name. He looked at me with a confused look and looked away from my eyes. He acted like I didn't exist. Like nothing even happened in Paris. Didn't he care?

"We can't be seen together." He whisped and looked into my eyes before he moved across the room, away from me. He put his head on his desk and brushed through his hair with his fingers. It's like he had forgotten about me and simply just moved on. 

When I walked out of the math class, the guy I had met the previous night stood by my locker. He smiled towards my way and waved. 

"Daisy!" He yelled and ran towards me. He carried me and spun me around like we hadn't seen each other in years. He had a huge smile on his face when he put me down.

"I have switched schools to be with you, you light up my world." Aaron put my hair behind my ear and looked into my eyes. Across the hallway Christopher was standing with his new girlfriend and stared right at us. I needed to do something. 

I closed my eyes and leaned in for a kiss to get Christopher's attention. I felt Aaron's soft lips press against mine. His lips tasted like cherry lip balm. I felt my heart beat getting quicker as his warm hands gripped my hair. My cheeks started getting flushed. It felt like everyone's eyes were on us. After a few minutes I felt him pull away. I was speechless. 

"I have to get to class." he whispered in my ear before walking away from me. Madison walked up to me with her eyes wide open. She had an even bigger smile on her face before putting her arm around my shoulders.

"Aaron Millers, huh? His mom owns the law film my dad works at. We basically grew up together."  she giggled while walking to our second period.