i. a neon beginning

◦ ❖ ◦

"Stay for the night, I'll sell you a dream. Welcome to the playground."

◦ ❖ ◦

Tomi watched a match that was currently going on from a distance.

Having a limited view from where she was standing, she looked away and glanced at the busy road by the end of the narrow, dark alley. The view was also blocked by a car, stuck in a traffic jam. The people who were watching the match screamed enthusiastically for their favorites, while on her other side, car horns were blaring in her ears.

She tapped her foot impatiently, and almost left without taking her payment. She knew her mother wouldn't accept any more excuses if she came home late. Not again. Not for the fourth time this week.

"There you are!"

Tomi pushed herself against the wall she was leaning on, glanced back to the direction of the fight, and found Taeil, the host of this area's street fight. He had a white envelope in his grip. He shoved it to her and pushed her lightly away from the fight, out of the alley.

"Now go home, it's getting late."

"Wait!" She stopped him from pushing her out of the alley. She then opened the given envelope and started to count, "...two, three—forty-three thousand?—where's the rest of it??" She frowned.

"That is all they gave me, kid." Taeil shrugged. Looking like he felt bad for her.

"This isn't what you promised me. This isn't even half-"

"Look, I'm sorry, I truly am, but Boss said to not allow you to join our street fight anymore. The rest of our regulars also voted you out of the fights." He said.

"Why? Because they always lose to a high school girl??"

Taeil pressed his lips and said nothing to that.

"Am I not one of your regulars?? Don't I have a say in this too??"

"Tomi," he sighed. "I like you, I really do. But the rest of my people don't. I don't know why, maybe, yes, what you said earlier is the reason they all want you out. But I really can't do anything about it." He pouted.

She felt hot around her eyes but bit her tongue, fighting back the urge to tear up. She really loved fighting there. Now she had to go look for another street fight that would let a high school student participate.

"There's a better street fight which pays you better too, in Deungchon. But the guys who fight there are bigger and much more skilled than these assholes." He said referring to the guys she usually fought against. "Try going there and see it yourself. Maybe you'll get into the ring. I do think you can take them."