iii. precipice of fate

◦ ❖ ◦

◦ ❖ ◦

"Now I'm free, I can go anywhere I go my
way, get out of my way."

◦ ❖ ◦

"No." Kaya didn't even bother to glance at her daughter and kept focusing on her cooking. "You're gonna be late for work. Stop with this nonsense. I'll just pack this up for you."

"But think about the opportunities it will give us! I could even get into a prestigious college. I promise I will get in, mother!" Tomi kept trying.

"Enough, Satomi. It will never happen. You don't even know how to fight."

"I know how to fight. I can fight. And maybe I could even participate in the Tekken Tournament. I can win us a lot of—"

Kaya stopped stirring the soup and blinked, "what did you say?" She mumbled.

"I know how to fight—"

"You know nothing about fighting!" Kaya hissed, finally looking at her daughter in the eyes.

Tomi was taken back at her mother's response. She'd never seen Kaya angry like that. It almost sounded like she was defensive too. Of what... Tomi wasn't sure.

"And I suppose you know?" She taunted.

Kaya's eyes began to water but she held it back. She took a shaky breath, "go get ready for work." Then she turned around to resume her soup.

"You're not listening to me! I love fighting, mom! It's the only thing I've ever wanted to do in my life."

"Satomi, enough." Kaya reminded her again. "You don't know what you're saying—"

"I know what I'm saying! But you don't know that because you never listen to me, you never care about what I want! It's always about what you want. I hate gymnastics. I fucking hate it, mom. But you never care about that, do you? It's always been about you, and what you want—"

Before Tomi could finish her sentence, she was stopped by Kaya's hand coming across her face. It left a stinging pain and a wide pink mark on her cheek, which she was holding.

Kaya breathed in once more, "I don't want to hear about NPS, or Tekken, or fighting, ever again. Are we clear?" She said in a calm manner.

Tomi didn't dare to move because she was holding back her tears. Until Kaya turned around to resume her cooking. Tomi left for work after getting ready and left without saying anything to her mother.