vi. a fateful encounter

TW**
this chapter contains a bullying scene (after the "~" symbol / page break)
proceed at your own discretion

TW**this chapter contains a bullying scene (after the "~" symbol / page break)proceed at your own discretion

◦ ❖ ◦

"But I got my fingers laid together and
I made a little prison.
And I'm locking up everyone
who ever laid a finger on me."

◦ ❖ ◦

After the first class ended, Yuqi and her friends went away together without Tomi. She felt stupid expecting that they were going to tag her along with them. They were just being nice to the new kid, she thought she should be thankful for that.

"Do you want to meet me in front of the cafeteria in twenty minutes?" Yeonjun stood behind her. "Or we can eat together." He waited for Tomi who was seemingly hesitant to answer. "That is... if you want." He grinned and looked away out of embarrassment.

Tomi kindly declined the offer but agreed to meet him in twenty minutes. She wouldn't want him to be stuck with the school's infamous scholarship winner. She wondered if Number 1, the one who won the scholarship with her, also got the same treatment as her.

After finishing her pork bun and a cup of milk, she met the class rep outside the massive cafeteria. They began to walk together, with Yeonjun leading the way. She already felt bad because other students were side-eyeing them and were whispering around. But the class rep was being too nice and tried to distract her so they couldn't hear the whispers.

"You've never been trained before?" Yeonjun's eyes widened at her story. "And you got the scholarship?"

"Yeah." She rubbed the back of her neck, face flushed. "Don't ask me why, I don't know the answer myself either."

"Well that only means one thing," Yeonjun stopped in his track and looked at her. "You're good."

Tomi smiled and looked away from him. "Thanks." She hoped her face wasn't red, because she knew how red it could get. Wooyoung had always teased her about it.

They went up one level with the stairs to where Tomi noticed she'd went before the school started. It was where the training halls were. Once they arrived on the right floor, her attention went to the giant digital black screens that were now on. Each of the screens had a different color font and she realized that they were students' names.

"This... is the leaderboard."

"No way, Song Yuqi is Warrior."

Tomi heard one of the students said.

"I'm telling you, Wingchun users
are something else.
Even the first years are Mentors."

Tomi couldn't understand what they were all fussing about until she looked at the first screen.