Just Keep Breathing

Shayla's Pov

It was finally Saturday morning, It was time to get ready for my coffee date with Buck, I skimmed through my closet to pick out something cute.

I clipped 2 front strands of my hair back and put on some lip gloss before heading out.

Buck was outside waiting for me, "Took you long enough" he teased, "Sorry, I can't go anywhere without my lipgloss." I laugh walking towards him, he opened the passenger door for me, "you're cute" he laughed. I giggled, "I know"

When we got to the Café things went pretty smoothly, the waitress spoke spanish so me and her talked a bit in spanish about the weather.

She said, "Esta bonito el dia verdad?" (It's a beautiful day right?)

"Si esta hermoso el dia, Y de donde eres?" (Yes the day is beautiful, and where are you from?)

"Ah yo vengo de Ecuador" (Oh I come from Ecuador)

"Si? Yo soy de Mexico" (yea? I'm from Mexico)

When the waitress left, Buck was staring at me in confusion "I have no idea what you said but wow" He said blankly, "I've never heard you speak spanish."

I giggled, "We were just talking about how nice it is outside and where we're from." He nodded, "were you born in Mexico?" I shook my head, "I was born here," I began "But I lived there for a couple of years, I don't really speak spanish unless I'm talking to my parents or facetime with my Grandma." I explained

"Maybe you can teach me a little?" Buck looked at me with his adorable smile, "Hola como estas?" I say, he laughed "Come on Perez" We both laughed.

We talked more about eachother todat instead of random things, a little bit about out lives and basic things about ourselves. "I'll be back," I said getting up to go to make my way to the restroom.

When I was done and checking myself in the mirror, I got a text from Buck, weird. But then my heart immediately sank to the floor.

Buck: call 911 theres someone behind the counter with a gun

Stay in the bathroom

"PUT YOUR HANDS UP!" I heard a mans voice yell, I panicked running back into the stall while dialing 911.

"911 what's your Emergency?"

"I need police units now there's someone with a Gun trying to rob the place"

"Ma'am did you said someone was there with a gun? You're whispering"

"22 North Street, I'm sorry im in the bathroom I don't want him to hear me."

"Help is on the way ma'am, but I need you to stay where you are and stay on the phone until help arrives. Can you tell me your name?"

"Shayla Perez, firefighter with the LAFD"

"Okay Shayla, stay with me on the line."

I suddenly heard footsteps getting closer, I got even more scared I couldn't move. Buck. Is he okay??

I felt a tear go down my face, I was frozen in fear, "Miss Shayla are you there?"

I panicked and hung up, for fear the intruder would hear the echo from the phone and find me. I was scared to death, thoughts were racing through my mind.

Is Buck okay?

Am I gonna die?

Are we gonna die?

What if I fail to save someone again??

At this point I have my back against the wall and im doing my best not to move or make any noise, god please help me.

I closed my eyes and held my breathe for what felt like eternity, silently letting tears fall, that being it was all I could do at this point besides stay quiet and pray we would all make it out safe.

Just breathe Shayla...

...in through your nose..

..out through your mouth..

Before I knew it, I heard the doors bust open outside. "LAPD FREEZE!!"

I didn't hear any gunshots, but that didn't stop me from remaining still and quiet..

A few minutes later the door opened, "LAPD, anyone in here?" I heard a womans voice say, I carefully opened the stall door and saw a police woman standing there, "What's your name sweetheart?"

"Shayla. Shayla Perez, is everyone okay??" I said walking closer to the police woman, "where's Buck?!" I asked loudly trying to get out but the woman pulled me away before I could and said, "Ma'am everythings taken care of- I'm sorry did you say Buck?"

I nodded, "my boyfriend, Evan Buckley.. is he okay??" I ask trying not to cry. She tried calming me down "Shayla I can assure you your boyfriend is fine-"

Suddenly Buck ran to the door, "Shayla!"

"Buck!"

We ran to eachothers arms, I've never wanted to hold him tighter. When we pulled apart, I look at the officer, then at Buck, "Wait do you two know eachother?" I asked

"As a matter of fact yes, I've known your boyfriend for about 3 years now." The officer explained, I extended my hand, "Shayla Perez, firefighter with 118 LAFD."

She shook my hand, "Athena Grant, Sargent with the LAPD, also the wife of your Captain Bobby Nash." She said with a smile, "so you're the Athena captain Bobby talks about." I smiled with excitement, followed by a nod from Athena.

When we got out with Buck having his arm around me, "So you told Athena I was your boyfriend?" I looked down, crap what do i say?

"Oh..I was kind of hoping you forgot about that." I was embarrassed, "Why?"

I look at him, "No offense or anything, I just don't wanna come on too strong." I explain trying not to look at him. We got into his car, "you're not coming on too strong, I wouldn't mind actually being a thing if you don't." He said.

I wasn't looking at him yet, "I don't know Evan." I said, I felt him place his hand on my cheek and gently turned me to face him, "Well I know for sure that any guy lucky enough to be your man, would be the luckiest guy in the world."

I bit my lip, "Well then it doesn't have to be someone else you know." I said taking his hand from my face and held it in both of mine. "Can that lucky guy be me?"

"Of course doofus!" I laugh, I watched his face go from hopeful to incredibly happy, he leaned over and kissed me on the cheek.

Suddenly my heart fluttered and began beating faster, now I was the girlfriend.. of Evan Buckley..