33

(Mikaela)

I quietly slipped out of the room after Yuu had fallen asleep. After he was done crying he got hammered, absolutely shitfaced. I eventually cut him off and learned that he is a HIGHLY affectionate drunk. I thought I had a problem with constantly needing to touch him, Jesus. I hated to leave him like that, but this was important. I had my doubts that Mahiru Hiragi would actually kill herself, it's not uncommon for people in our ranks to 'slip'. Especially after that kind of downfall could be seen as her fault. I don't think the Hiragis aside from Yuu knew I had any kind of involvement, but they could easily find out it was because of what she did.

I passed through the hallway and heard Asher snoring lightly from the other room. How Yuu slept next to him for all those years, I will never know. I had left a change of clothes out earlier for just this occasion, if I was going to meet with him, I needed to look presentable. I prayed to whatever entity would hear that Yuu wouldn't wake up while I was gone and left.

...

I pulled up to the house, much too big and much too spacious, and knocked on the door three times exactly. The door opened swiftly and I was met with a narrowed pair of caramel brown eyes, no where near as endearing or lovely as either of his adopted family members. Ah, the level I have stooped to, complimenting Yuu's father. Well... his eyes were the same as mine, so I suppose that's just my ego leaking through.

"Mr. Tepes." His voice was gruff and I wasn't surprised due to that tree trunk of a neck of his. I hated this family almost as much as Yuu did. He glanced out the door to survey the area (which was much more suspicious than just letting me in) before stepping to the side and gesturing for me to enter.

"Mr. Hiragi." I returned the sentiment while coming inside.

"How is Yuichiro?" He asked.

"Drunk," I responded, "but other than that, he seems to be fine, I don't really concern myself with it."

"Shinya said quite the opposite, apparently you're quite fixated on him." He smirked.

I shot him a glare, "You know I don't get attached. You asked me how he was, I said fine."

"I would've assumed he'd be more angry. That boy was always over emotional." I didn't like the way Kureto had said that. It almost sounded like an insult. Part of me hated that. If he kept that up, they might have to plan two funerals.

"Yes, he's quite honest, almost too honest. Must run in the family." I made sure to place my the threat in only my tone of voice. He would catch on, he was smart.

Until he raised a brow at me, I didn't realize how much he looked like he was on steroids, even his brows looked like they lifted more than me, "That boy avoided me like the plague as a child, rightfully so. If there's any qualities about him that annoy you, you can look at my brother's stubborn, hot-headed husband."

"Yuu is very much like Guren in some ways, I have to agree." I snickered.

"Mr. Tepes, may I ask why you are here? I assume it's not requesting my blessing to join the Hiragi clan, you've never been the type to ask before taking." His attempt at joking was.. passable.

"No, I'm not looking to join your family," cult would've been a better word for it, "if we were to get married, Yuu would be taking my name, I have no interest in becoming a Hiragi. I want to read her note."

"How bold, I like that. But I don't have the note." He wasn't lying, but there was something off.

"Mr. Hiragi, if I may be so, as you like to call it, bold, if you don't have it, then where is it?" I picked up a family portrait that was sitting on a desk near by, the facade they put on sickened me, "I didn't drive out here at the break of dawn just to be disappointed. I don't like to be disappointed, you know this better than anyone, no?"