52

(Yuu)

I woke up with an innate sense of panic, sweat glued my bangs to my forehead. It was dark, even the moon wasn't out tonight. I was on edge but I didn't know why, I could feel the anticipation of something bad brushing against me. It may have been silly, and there was a possibility I was just paranoid, but I felt in my gut that something was off.

Quietly getting out of bed, and making my way towards the hallway, what was wrong hit me like a bag of bricks. It was pitch black; the kitchen lights were off. My heart sank straight to my stomach.

Oh hell no, I can not beat a bitch down right now.

Radio static silence filled the house, I inched closer to the railing above the stairwell. I about lost my shit right then and there when something moving in the darkness caught my eye.

Covering my mouth to try and lower my breathing, I soundlessly scooted back until I reached the wall. I moved my hand to the side until I felt the wooden doorframe to Asher's room. I hated that I was about to run Mikaela for this, it felt degrading, the thought of needing him for anything sent a sickened shiver down my spine. Maybe dying was better... nahh.

I had to push the door open more in order to fit, I knew I would be on the clock the moment that door creaked. Even if the person doesn't come running up, they'd be more likely to hear me once they think someone's here.

I tried to make the sound as short and natural sounding as possible, holding my breath as I gently pushed it. The noise was sudden enough make all rustling from downstairs cease, but 10 more seconds of straight silence and it was like nothing had ever happened.

"Mikaela," I frantically tapped him, "someone's in the house."

"Hm?" He groaned.

My rushed whispers fell on deaf ears, he just laid there, if I didn't know better I would've thought he was staring at me, goosebumps covered me as the feeling of danger grew and grew,    "Mika...?"

Hands shot over my mouth as I screamed out, immediately throwing my arms back in struggle. I heard a crack and the grip loosened. The pounding of the stairs as the other person rushed up here hurt my head, I felt nauseous as I realized I just did that for nothing. My heart was beating so fast it felt like I was going to die, my eyes were moving around so fast, everything was spinning. Another pair of hands grabbed me, setting me over the edge. My eyes rolled to the back of my head with one final strained scream.
...

(Mika)

"No," I waved my hand, "coincidental at best, and even that's a stretch."

"Not that much of a stretch when you remember what kind of people we work with," Kureto reminded me, "How's Yuu?"

"Suicidal, exhausted, frustrated. About what you'd expect from someone that tried to kill themselves less than a week ago." I stated matter-of-factly.

"I'm surprised you would risk leaving him alone." Kureto raised his eyebrow.

"You underestimate how much I'm willing to do for him. The whole apartment was Yuu-proofed before he even attempted. Drawers are locked, liquor is hidden and locked, pills of any kind are hidden and locked, and I even went through the trouble of removing any and all recreational drugs from the property. He can't even open the back terrace without me there." I assured him.

"Have you told him yet?" Kureto asked.

"Absolutely not," I said as I scanned through the sheet of medical examiner's notes for what felt like the 50th time, "he's far too unstable."

"When are you gonna tell him?" He asked.

"Soon. I was hoping I wouldn't have to be the one to tell him something I know will crush him. " I frowned.

"Mikaela, in the most professional way possible, I would like to remind you that you are the only person you're letting him see. Who the actual hell else do you expect to tell him?" Kureto deadpanned.

"Yeah, yeah, technicalities. I'm doing it soon though, I know that if I put it off much longer he'll use it as reason to blame me." I sighed.

"Did you do it?" He asked.

"No, actually. I had no reason to." I pointed out.

"There's usually a hidden reason to the things you do." He was too perceptive for my liking.

"Yes, well, a hidden reason would still be a reason. Bewwschh. Mind blowing shit, I know."

"I'm just saying, it seems like the kind of move you would make. When it has anything to do with my nephew, you seem to need no reason." He elaborated.

"It is. I just didn't get to it fir— hand mark." I stopped everything I was doing and pulled out autopsy pictures, "that's a fucking hand mark." I pointed to the 2 dots on her left shoulder, "it's marked under misc. but within context it becomes apparent."

"How did you even figure that out?" He asked me.

"I've seen it before." I whispered to him with a smile, "and you have too."

His eyes widened, "Oh."