CHAPTER 1. "Wishes."

JANUARY 2006

I was driving through San Francisco's congested streets, hoping not to be late for my first work interview with Gensler Architecture. The traffic, combined with my sleepless body from my constant thinking about the interview last night, we're really getting on my nerves.

I turned the stereo of my car to ease this upcoming headache, I have a 1967 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28 in dark green with white stripes, classy, I know right. My parents gave it to me as a present on my eighteenth birthday. It may look old and out of style for some people, but this stuff is like my vibe.

I arrived at the Gensler building with ten minutes to spare before my work interview. As I approached the elevator, I checked my phone to check any messages, to my surprise there are a few "best wishes" and "good luck" texts from family and friends, as well as a long sappy text from my best friend Khai.

I'm wearing an oversized dark green suit and wide-legged pants with a white tank top under the suit and white heels. I was fixing my suit when the elevator 'dinged,' signaling that I was on my floor. I took a seat on one of the lobby's leather couches and laid my suitcase on my lap, waiting for my name to be called.

Should I be nervous about this? No. I've been dreaming this since I was a kid, so why would I be nervous now that I'm closer to making it come true. Also, I'm kind of a confident person or should I say a bad bitc-

My mind snapped back to reality, snapping me out of my trance when I heard my name being called from behind the desk. 

"Y/N Downey?" The lady from the desk

"Yeah, that's me," I said.

"Mr. Follett is ready for you." I nodded and thanked her as I enter the conference room.

I opened the door, and I noticed James Follett seated in the middle of the table. He saw me and got to his feet, and held out his hands for me to shake. And I shook it.

"Miss Downey, it's a pleasure to meet you. I've heard good things about you from your Harvard professors, and I must admit that your academic performance there impresses me. Please take a seat." James said... my idol!

"Thank you. I'm a big fan of your works." I said taking a seat across from him. I pulled my portfolio from my suitcase and put it on the table and slide it across to him.
Here is my portfolio to get us started.

He smiled and thanked me. He opened the portfolio and it took him a few moments to scan my works, and to my surprise I see him smiling as he did so. Well, when my dad took a look at it he was amazed by just the cover of the portfolio, so I know it's good.

We discussed my portfolio as well as the typical questions asked during a job interview. He and I exchanged compliments here and there, making me want to roll my eyes, but I couldn't. After about thirty minutes of talking, I grew impatient, my legs softly leaping, but not excessively, and my fingers tapping on my knees in a synchronized rhythm. It felt fantastic to have feedback from my idol, but the longer he spoke, the less that I idolized him. After the interview, we exchanged final words before we part ways.

"Miss Downey, I'm looking forward to seeing you again soon. I'll call you as soon as I receive a response from the board. Oh, and please tell your father that I said "hello." I'm a fan of his."