CHAPTER 34. "Talk."

Have you ever been in that kind of situation where you want to walk out of the room because there's an awkward silence that you don't want to break? After all, you're also awkward? No? Well, lucky for you a not for me.

What is it about me that makes me so uninterested? I had a want to speak, but then I had a desire to ignore it for a minute. But even then, it keeps creeping out of my shoulders saying like 'surprise, bitch!'.

I stuffed my hands into my pockets as the guards shielded us from the rogue photographers. I kept my head down, but we got to the point where I was colliding with the guards. Scarlett let out a whimper next to me, so what I did was unsurprising: I wrapped my polo shirt around us and hugged her tightly, allowing my body to absorb all the bumps that she was supposed to receive. Her wonderful smell fills my nose, and her smooth skin rests on the tips of my fingers as we walk as fast as we can. I let go of her once we were inside the lobby and proceeded to the front desk, where the receptionist was.

"Hi, pretty lady, can I have the room under the name of Downey?" I asked flirtatiously, but I didn't mean it like that; I'm just a naughty person because of what happened some time ago.

"Good evening, miss Downey, and of course." She turned around and went to the key holders that had... obviously, keys. She looks like the type of person that takes everything too seriously. Like a Karen, maybe.

"How long have you been in this kind of job?" Asking interestedly, I rest my head in my hands, propping my elbows on the countertop.

"2 years?" She answered unassumingly as if she didn't know exactly.

"I don't know." She laughed lightly, and I, too, with my smile still lingering on my lips. "You should be a keysmith." I joked, chuckling at my own words, but she didn't react. She has the most significant and fattest fake smile that I've seen today.

"Y/N!" Scarlett scowled, standing behind me. I looked at her questioningly. "Professional." She said, rubbing my lower back. I cringed and took a step away from her.

"No worries. I've been working in this same position for two years. Do you know how often these jokes get made?" The receptionist asked in a relatively calm tone, but I could hear the annoyance in it.

"A lot?" I smirked, making her more annoyed. Gosh, this is fun.

"Never."

"I'm so sorry she's drunk." She apologized, smiling at the girl. I scoffed, slipped the key off the counter, and walked away. Scarlett and I rushed inside the elevator as it was about to close. Our room was a few levels up, which was tedious. After taking off my glasses, I examine myself on the shiny metal walls by touching the black bruise on the corner of my left eye.

"I look cool and hot. Do you find it hot?" I muttered thoughtfully, not looking away from my reflection, moving on to check my jaw.

"Being a Dalmatian doesn't make any human hot nor cool." She remarked, her voice uninterestedly like she just git asked a stupid question.

Was it stupid?

"I just saved you from him... you can just lie to me... since you're good at that," I muttered the last sentence, but she heard it since we were alone, and the metal cage we were in was silent. She disregarded it, and we both exited the elevator.

I became upset when she did not react to reality about herself; perhaps she is excellent at it. Well, she's skilled at masking every emotion; maybe I touched a chord, but she covers it up.

We entered the room that was quite big for both of us: high ceilings, tall glass windows, a big living room, and a kitchen. The room and bathroom are not even counted yet. I walked through the short hall leading to the master's bedroom.