CHAPTER 39. "Bad or Good News?"

"In the end, we only regret the chances we didn't take."

Every time something remarkable happens, it seems the world slows down. Your brain is still processing quickly events. It's difficult to maintain composure when you're out of place in a situation.

Robert's words already made my ears deaf. My body froze and died. Not a peep. That moment of solitude with my thoughts. I was imagining the worst case scenario of her condition when I was violently shaken.

I looked at Romain, who was mumbling, no, shouting something, but I'm partially deaf. I looked him dead in the eyes, but you could tell I was looking at him with pure hatred.

We're all here because of him, in the worst situation possible. He's the reason she's gone and probably dead. He's why I'm about to lose the love of my life.

Even so, I'm also to blame. I fell into his trap. He ruled me. For Christ's sake, I'm an adult woman. Why did I not say no?

"Scarlett..."

"Scarlett..."

My name echoed in my ears as he shook me awake.

"Scarlett!" Romain yelled in my face, and I gasped, as if I had stopped breathing. I am terrified and leaning on his shoulder for support.

"You need to go."

"What?"

"I'm sorry. I really am... for everything. We'll talk soon but right now she needs you. Go." He spoke as he led me to the hotel's front entrance. He let me in a car and told the driver to leave.

I was still out of it so everything he said was kind of a nonsense.

Oh, he apologized I could see remorse in his eyes. His face was awash in regret and horror.  Maybe because he might be the cause of someone's death... but no one is dying.

Stop thinking negative, Scarlett.

Just be happy that he's giving back your freedom.

I've just realized I'm alone. No one from my or her family is here. Maybe they've arrived. Even so, I'm all alone.

No matter how hard I try, new tears come out of my eyes. The pain I'm in right now is unlike any other I've ever felt. Unbearable pain that may not be stopped once it has its way. That is to see Y/N alive.

After what seemed like an hour, the car stops and the driver steps out to open the door for me, but I'm already inside the hospital running. I sped through the kids' hell hole. My heels clattering against the white tiles, my eyes leaking tears as I stumble along, I'm overdressed.

Nurses and civilians stared at me as I got lost in the hallway. I'm not sure if they're staring because I'm Scarlett Johansson or because I'm crying.

"Lost?" A manly voice spoke after I bump into them. A white man in blue scrubs stood tall in front of me.

"Uhm, yes. I'm looking for Y/N Downey, she just got sent in." My voice was weak, like a stray dog left on the streets. I dab my tears with my hand.

"Let me accompany you. But we have to hurry, I'm needed there." He leads, and I follow, walking as fast as I can.

We pass through doors and halls until I see her family sitting in chairs, worried as ever. The man in scrubs leaves and I approach the Downey's, nervous about their reaction, even though I know they will hate me.

I was in a distance between them and just stood there not making known of my presence. Susan and Indio was seated in one of the seats the boy comforting his weeping mother. While Robert leans against the wall close to the double doors where I think Y/N was in. Khai was nowhere to be found.