F O U R

Mahina, the capital city of Durja

The decision for the Vinayagar Chaturthi tax had been announced and it did not please Dhruva as much as it did when the king mentioned about going through the financial records of the past years. Much to his disappointment, Varadarajan was all smiles for the small triumph of his victory. The crown prince shook his head for the poor decision of the king in the matter between people and the money.

"The tax will be implemented with a lower rate than it has been fixed for all the citizen for this year festival. This decision is taken by keeping in mind to not disturb the funds of royal treasury for future use. Finance minister had spoken to us and his will brief the rest of you on the future expanses." The king gestured Varadarajan to begin as he laid back on the high chair, ready to listen once again of the finance minister's plan.

"Thank you, Your Highness. Fellow council members allow me to brief you the plans for Durja and for the people. These are only suggestion which have not been finalised by the respective ministers in case the crown prince have the question," said Varadarajan, answering the already bubbling question in Dhruva's head. "The plans includes free food scheme, harbour reconstruction, military funds and weaponry along with basic maintenances of the city and the villages. Further updates will be reported in the future council meeting. Thank you." The finance minister concluded and sat proudly for accomplishing his briefing without stumbling much as he expected.

Dhruva's scrutinising gaze never left the minister, he did not believe any of the so-called plans to be executed in the near future. Varadarajan's early precautionary have also hinted that this should not be questioned as long as these plans are still in talking terms.

"We will be looking forward for these projects to go on floor soon, Lord Varadarajan," stated Dhruva, loud and clear for the council member to hear.

***-----*****-----***

Dhruva watched the city from the palace watchtower as town crier announced the tax implementation to the subjects of Mahina. Displeased with the turnout of the event in the council room, he murmured to his uncle, "I have disappointed them again, mama. I promised them I would stop the execution of the extra tax this year and I failed." The aged warrior next to him held his shoulder in a firm grip as a sign of strength.

"You only fail if you did not try, son," said his uncle, a fine warrior, Megavannan.

Megavannan, a warrior from Dhruva's maternal kingdom possesses features of a man in his forties although the warrior's age had passed sixty. His tall, broad chest, well-built warrior physic and large muscles scream years of training and battles fought while the aged scars from many battles adorned his handsome face. Hailing from Haridra, the largest nation in Lambodara where finest warriors were born, Megavannan moved to Durja along with the princess of Haridra after her marriage. Since then, he had been the most respected warrior in Durja, holds a high post in the imperial guard and a dotting uncle for Dhruva.

"Yes, mama but I should have considered speaking to him personally as well. I thought speaking in the council meeting might help me gain more support from the ministers but they seem uninterested in the welfare of the people of Durja."

"Then it's time you continue to hunt for best people in the nation, get them trained and ready for your regime. It's important to have intellectual people than self-centred ones." Megavannan whispered although there were no one on the watchtower except them.

"I have been thinking about it too, mama. There are far more capable people outside of Mahina. As soon as we get back from Mount Gaja, I'll be off again."

Megavannan nodded and clasped his hands behind his back watching the city's movement. Elite people of the city living closer to the palace seemed unaffected by the news however, that wasn't the case for those poorer families in the poor area. From the watchtower, the prince and the warrior observed as the people gathered outside the palace disagreeing and arguing with the town crier. Poor him, he had nothing to do with it but had to bear the consequences of the palace's decision.