FORTY-SEVEN

Pavalanageri, Shoolin

The crowd at the bottom of the hill was clearing up. Fleets of his army were in constant move into the sea in the warships he had gotten from Shoolin in exchange of golds, slaves and a promised treasure. Ranganathan was finally seeing his long-time plan coming to life, he could feel it in his bones. He wouldn't lie to himself if he wasn't confident.

When he heard of Nakshathra's disappearance, Ranganathan questioned his goal. He doubted his effort, it's worth and the aftermath. Somewhere within him, a sense of responsibility flashed—concern for his niece he had never met before swamped him. But it only lasted for a couple of days until he received a message from Alli.

He learnt that Nakshathra had returned and left for Durja to meet Alli and that, she was going there to find a way to negotiate and get her people back. "This is the right time," he told Shijay. A perfect time to send his armies to Kavish and siege the country when they have all their attention on the princess who left to Durja.

Shijay patted Ranganathan's back, a satisfactory smile played on his lips. "You sure, you don't want me to go with you?" he asked.

Ranganathan nodded in reply. "You have helped me enough. It's my battle, let me take charge. I am grateful for everything you have done." They hiked down the hill and headed to their awaiting chariot. As they made, their way down, Ranganathan stopped his friend. "Maharaja, I have one request."

"What's that?"

"If I get caught or die fighting, please take care of Chitramala."

"Why are you even think of that? Don't you have confidence in my soldiers?"

"I do but it's something about gut feeling you know. It keeps telling me otherwise. I don't know but my thoughts are drawing towards my niece, a sense of duty as a father figure. I don't know what I am blabbering but ...." Ranganathan bit his lower lip, putting an end to whatever his brain was wrecking up.

Shijay looked at him with compassion. "Despite all that the family have done to you, you are still drawn to think about them. You are something else, Ranga." Shijay racked his fingers through his hair, the smile faded slowly. "But if anything happens to you, I may not just sit and watch. You are my friend and I'll do what I need to do. End of discussion. Let's go."

*-*-*-*-*-*

Mahina, Durja

It was a shower of purple petals gently swaying up and down, dancing in the rhythm of the mild breeze before spinning to a rest on the warm earth. Its beauty once vivid among the greens on the tree now adorned the dry soil where the last vestige of its purple charm laid to be endeared by those with heart as soft as the petals.

Nakshathra sat beneath the large Dhumra Droni tree. Her feet buried in a layer of fallen petals while her eyes stuck on the bed of petals resting under the shade of its home. Her mind wandered back for the numerous times to what the hut owner in the hill had suggested. Was that the only help she can get to reach her people? And what kind of help can she ask? Her finger drummed vigorously on the rock she was on before she slammed her hand on it, growling in frustration.

If only they were as strong as Durja in terms of military strength, Kavish would have retrieved all of it abducted people. In fact, they might have avoided the entire loss. She wouldn't need to contemplate on the kind of sacrifice she has to make. Nakshathra swallowed the lump in her throat, throwing her head back, her eyes catching the different shades of the petals falling.

"Your highness, if I may..." A voice whispered.

Ashutosh stood three feet away from her, waiting for her respond. She followed his hand gestured and nodded. "Yes, of course," she replied as she watched the middled aged man sat on a rock near her.