N I N E

Pavalanageri, capital city of Shoolin

Ranganathan fanned himself with the hem of his kurta trying to cool down from the oppressive heat of Shoolin. The shade above the cart too did not help ease the blazing temperature. Clinging kurta and wet hair, sweat ran down like condensation of a glass of cool drink. "Once we get to the palace, we should be fine," Ranganathan whispered barely able to speak louder for the dry throat the journey had caused him.

Desert spread to their left as far as the eyes could reach and beyond. As their cart moved pass the desert, luscious vegetation covered a major part of the land providing the city with enormous varieties of herbs, vegetables and spices. What an opportunity to strike? Ranganathan made a mental note to approach the king for an export deal of those herbs and spices for it would cost a fortune in Durja and in other parts of Lambodara.

The cart followed behind a few slow moving pulled-carts carrying a cart full of barrels. Udumban craned his neck to check the one-way road only to find there were five pulled-carts ahead of him. "Oi! Oi! Could you give us some way, we are heading to the palace? Move aside," Udumban screamed for the front most cart puller to hear.

However, something they did not expect happened causing them to regret for even opening their mouth. Not one, not two but all the cart pullers dropped their carts and surrounded their chariot. Displeased with the rude visitor, the cart puller each cursed and growled at them. "Don't you have patience, you pig!", "Can't you see that we have a cart full of oil barrels?", "We are not going to give you way.", "You follow our speed, we are heading to the palace too."

Twenty minutes to the palace took about an hour of exhausted slow ride. Thankfully they had no trouble entering into the palace. At the mention of a name to the palace guards, one of them permitted their entry and had taken Udumban to the servant quarters for rest and meal meanwhile Ranganathan was escorted to one of Shijay's council members.

"You look pathetic. Did you walk all the way from Durja?" asked Babudas, a council member and a friend of Ranganathan. The average in height councillor clapped his hand twice for an attended and instructed to get a bowl of water with towel for his guest.

"I would have been happier if I had walked but it was not the case today. We were stuck in a quarrel with cart pullers for asking them to give us way. Quite rude, they are I must say," complained Ranganathan as he took a seat at the balcony viewing the great capital city of Shoolin, Pavalanageri, the city of pearl.

The planned circular city bordered with a thick and tall wall made of steel making it invincible to penetrate into the city. Inside the wall, were many smaller circular walls separating the people according to clusters. The city indeed a city of pearl for its tiny clusters resembling pearls were well designed fitting for its name, Pavalanageri.

"May I remind you that the people of Pavalanageri only respects and fears for the king and his household. They don't do that for mere visitors, Ranga. You got to keep that in mind," Babudas said and gestured to the servant who entered to help Ranganathan with the water and towel.

"I know but they could do it politely too," Ranganathan sulked and snatched the towel handed to him. "Isn't it Aditi devo bhava?" he asked.

"Not here my friend."

**--**--**

When Ranganathan got the permission to meet the king, he was afraid. Afraid the king might act rougher than his people, questions swirl in if the king would tie him in shackles and whip him for not paying on time. Maybe, tie his legs to the back of a horse cart and drag him all the way back to Durja, he shrieked at the thought. They had certainly delayed but would the king understand if he explains why it happened?