T W E N T Y - T W O

Sikva, capital city of Kavish

When she walked out of Ahalya's chamber and headed to her own, Nakshathra noticed curious gazes of the palace workers following her. Awkward. This never happened before. It's not like it's the first time they see her dressed elaborately. She had worn heavier sarees on her brothers' weddings yet none gawked at her like they did now. Unconsciously, her hand reached for her hair and slide down to the one piece of necklace resting on her neck in a width of a thumb. Had she let Ahalya to overdressed her than she had expected?

The last time I check in the mirror before leaving, I did not look that ornated.

The gazes were growing intense as she entered the south wing. Nakshathra took note of those who were looking at her and called out one of them.

"Why are you'll gawking at me? Do I look different that I was before?" Nakshathra asked trying not to be too intimidating with her hands on her hips.

The young lady she had called bowed low. "Apologies, Rajakumari. I believe this is the first time many are seeing you dressed as a princess after a long time. It's been a while since you had adopted minimal dressing style... that is why... Apologies, Rajakumari. We will not do it again."

"Oh, that's the reason." Nakshathra then thanked her for the compliment and made a quick dash to her chamber before she headed to the Durga temple. Walking pass the mirror in her room she caught her reflection, her conversation with Ahalya earlier flooded back to her.

"Anni, are you aware of what's happening in the palace?" She had asked simply to check if Ahalya was aware of the marriage preparation. If she could coax Ahalya to help her stop the marriage talk before it grows serious, Nakshathra would be the happiest yet she doubted.

"A lot is happening, my dear. What are you referring?" Ahalya started to work on Nakshathra's luscious black hair.

When Nakshathra had pointed out at the changes in the palace in terms of the decorative swamped in blue, Ahalya smile widen. She noticed her sister-in-law nodded in agreement through the reflection on the mirror in front of her. She was then filled in with bits and pieces of information of the alliance that will be announced soon after Abhimanyu reaches Kavish.

It was only then she learnt, the matter of marriage was initially raised by the king to the queen and later they reached out to Ahalya seeking her opinion. The joyous sister was overwhelmed to learn it was Abhimanyu they had chosen for Nakshathra.

Ahalya had also told Nakshathra, she would be the perfect wife for her brother who will not only make him a better man but also as a favoured and loved future king of Pareen. Nakshathra flinched when Ahalya told her so. She hated the man; how would she make him a better person when it would be him to probably do the opposite to her—turning her into a mad woman. Nakshathra spoke less and let Ahalya do the makeover she intended to do on her. If she were to argue it would go on for days but she had other agenda for the evening that she simply let it slide.

*-*-*-*-*-**-

The synchronised mantra chants by the priests in the temple, the smell of fresh flowers, burning incenses and prayer bell eased her perturbing mind. A sense of calmness washed over her as soon as she stepped into the most peaceful sanctuary in Sikva, the Durga temple by the river. Her mind had been racing with endless imaginary scenarios of how she would deal with Prince Abhimanyu and with the end of each episode, Nakshathra ended up indignant with herself.

She took in a lung full of fresh air and let go of all that troubled her out of the temple and wore her pretties smile as she stepped into the loving embrace of her revered goddess. Nakshathra, Arunya and a number of palace guards marched up the stairs with huge pots of food covered in yellow cloth to be distributed to the devotees for the day.