THIRTHY-SEVEN

Koshilkoot, Padmadri

Nakshathra and Janardan headed to Padmadri on horsebacks to avoid catching the eye of the people in the early hour. It was a two-hour ride to the north with one of the most beautiful sceneries in Kavish on its way. Hills fill the canvas of one's vision on both sides, a thin line of blue cutting through the valley from the west joins the stream flowing south. They trotted on the plateau, taking in the eye-comforting greenery, the serenity of the surrounding with herds of sheep grazing the grass. Nakshathra felt the most of an ease after a long time.

With the Padmadri district not a popular place of visit, Nakshathra was almost unknown in Koshilkoot. People of Koshilkoot were known to stay in the comforts of their homes and rarely step out of Padmadri district unless it meant business. Them tending to their business provided Nakshathra an even more liberation to be free, they could peacefully get in and out without drawing attention.

On their way, they came across a small market. Red and green awnings were raised to protect the raw produce and supplies from the sun while hawkers stood outside their shops, each attempted to grab at least one customer for the day at their not so busy market.

The strong smell of freshly prepared sugar drizzled pineapple and banana fritters lingered in the air from the moment they stepped into the market. Nakshathra's tummy growled in need of food as she walked past the stalls.

The further they strolled in the market the more food stalls tempted her to have a bite except for the one she came for, it wasn't there. Soon she gave in and marched to a stall run by an old lady named Nalini, her stall set under the large banyan tree. With her toothless smile that deepens her facial lines, the old folk nodded her head to them as she mixed the barter for the fritters in a bowl. Nakshathra was craving for hot banana fritters Nalini was preparing.

"Darling, we have just opened our stall. Might take a while, the oil is heating now. Do you mind waiting?" asked the old lady clad in an old faded saree.

"I'll wait." She hated to jump to another stall when the one she asked was minutes away from getting their first sale. So, Janardan and she waited patiently while she swept her gaze across the market to find a familiar face. Her guard paced back and forth before volunteering himself to help the old lady.

The hot oil sizzled and gently the sweet banana smell filled the air. "Today seems to be a day I meet people with golden hearts," the lady muttered as she dipped sliced pineapples into the barter.

"Golden hearts?" Janardan asked in attempt to keep himself entertained. He picked up a pineapple and started cutting it for Nalini just like how she instructed, skilfully.

"People here normally don't have any patience nor helping nature. They are always in a hurry and self-centred. But today, what a blessing to my stall. I've seen two." The lady wiggled two of her fingers dipped in the fritters' barter to Janardan. She scrunched her face as if reassessing her statement, "No, three," she corrected.

"One man offered to help me while I set my stall up, this beautiful young lady is fine to wait and you took up the knife without me asking." Nalini faced the sky with her eyes closed for a quick prayer and continued with her work.

Out of curiosity, Nakshathra craned her head to get a glimpse of the man seated behind Nalini. She bit back a smile as the man turned to reveal himself. He was seated on the short wooden stool in front of the fire with a long skimmer in his hand.

"Dhruva! Now a fritters guy, huh?" Nakshathra crossed the small barrier in between two stalls and sat across him on one of the many large protruding roots. She scooted a little further, the heat from the fire was only reminding her of the fire incident.