FORTY - THREE

Yalin, Durja

"Mother never wanted me to see you, be with you nor let me learn about you. I have only known about you through the maidens even that was bits and pieces." Prithvi sat on a small stone under a tree, hugging his knees.

They had stormed away from the village and far through the sugarcane field to avoid being heard. Now they were in front of a temple deprived of people with Prithvi pouring his heart out while Dhruva listened attentively.

The day's heat gradually rose as the sun moved above their heads, even the tree they sat under wasn't enough to cool them down. Dhruva and Prithvi were practically drenched in sweat yet it didn't seem to be a matter of concern to the brothers as Prithvi shared some of his unhappy early days in his life. He appeared flustered with the message his mother sent him.

"I don't know why; she often warns me to never go near you or you would lure me into your charm and steal what is mine." He let out a dry laugh. "I never came to an understanding of what you would steal from me till today..." Prithvi flicked his palms upward, gesturing his failure in comprehension.

Dhruva was aware the queen displeased his presence in the palace and have tried every possible way to stop her children from meeting him but stealing, was something he had not astute from the queen's behaviour. Alike Prithvi the same thought bubbled in his mind too, what will I steal?

"I know mother isn't the first queen of Durja and because of that she had always tried to be the best among all yet her reason to distant you from us was unfathomable. Her control over our life, my life wasn't acceptable either." Prithvi released his knees from the cage of his arms and rose to his height. "But there will be a day where she will not be within my reach to control me. A project in Yalin was my first step away from her shadows. Thanks to the king. And your presences here added more possibilities to help me find courage and break free, again thanks to the king." He twinkling eyes met Dhruva's. "Somehow she found her way to watch me even from afar." His shoulder sagged.

Dusting his hand from the sand, Dhruva stared at the dents imprinted on his palms. He walked to Prithvi and showed his palms. "The queen's control over you are like the dents imprinted on my palm. Once you dust it and loosen up, things will begin to repair itself. Just like our hands." He tapped his brother's shoulder. "But don't shun the queen because she was hard on you. I am sure she had her reasons to do what she did."

"She might have her reasons, yeah. But do you think she will try to keep us apart after she learns about us?" Prithvi raked his fingers through his hair.

Dhruva gave a thought through a long pause as he stared at a puddle of water close to the shrubs that rippled from uncertain disturbance. He continued to watch it until the water turned calm.

"The news will surely give her discomfort but like the water calms after the ripple waves settle, she will come in terms with development as well."

Although the calmness Dhruva predicts might not take place, the sense of relieve displayed on Prithvi's face justifies his unassured assurance.

*-*-*-*-*-*

Sikva, capital city of Kavish

Nakshathra left an angry king, an upset queen, unhappy family members and convinced brothers with her team of six in the small ratha vimana Parthiban had arranged for them. The argument of her journey to Durja went on for five days since she arrived, the king and queen had relentlessly tried to persuade their daughter to stay back but her stubbornness had them succumb to her will eventually.

The preparation of the journey took less than two days and on the third day she was on the flight to Pareen for documents they all needed to get into Durja.