TWO - b

Mahina, capital city of Durja

Yogathepan was silent all the way from the council chamber to the queen's bedchamber, lost in thoughts on the new raising problem—the abolishment of the tax. How was he to tell his son that they were collecting the tax to revive the lost from their investment on new warships made in the realm of Kamakshya that wasn't kept on record?

"What are you thinking about, maharaja?" asked Kumudhavalli as they entered into her chamber.

"About the royal funds. You know very well we have used big fund out of it for warships that did not make it here. How are we going to explain to the rest of the committee about the warships? They will go against us if they come to know we did not consult with them, won't they?" Yogathepan pressed his forefingers on his temple easing the imaginary ache, his eyes caught the many reflections of him on the mirrors hung on the wall.

"Darling, that's an old story. It's been almost twelve years since the deal went futile. You don't have to worry about it, we will only go through the records of the last five or six years. Lord Varadarajan will make sure the funds tally with our expenses," Kumudhavalli pressed on his shoulders giving him a light massage.

"I know but I think we should just drop the additional tax right anyway. Dhruva have now started questioning, he will soon investigate with or without our knowledge." Yogathepan pointed out. Lines of worry deepen on his forehead.

"You must be out of your mind, Yoga. It's from these extra taxes that we are able to coup with the huge lost we made from the warships. Adding to it, our depleting economy. It's for the people and their welfare, we need to consider every aspect before making a decision," objected the queen sternly.

He let his mind absorb the true sense of her words, "I guess you are right," he resigned to his wife's assurance.

----****-----******-----

The preparation to Mount Gaja for the Vinayagar Chaturthi had begun. It was time she uses it wisely. Alli headed to the cupboard in her chamber and pulled out a green scarf matching to her green saree. She wrapped it around her head and covered the bottom half of her face, leaving only her eyes visible. Her bangles, rings, earrings and other jewels that distinguishes her status were deserted for the occasion, as she always does to get into the avatar of Alli. Reaching for the dark green silk shawl laid on the armrest, she wrapped herself with it.

Although her hatred towards the kingdom of Kavish known to many, too many for her liking, she had worked hard and had carefully instilled the thought to the people that she has no vendetta to the land and its ruler any longer. A trick taught by Ranganathan, —channelling attention elsewhere. Thus, it was only appropriate to mask her identity; name and appearance to avoid being under the radar if anything goes wrong. The men working with her cannot be trusted to the fullest. There was no way she would jeopardise her name and status by mixing her personal agenda and her responsibility in the royal household.

After a quick check on her look in the mirror, she marched to a massive wardrobe at the end of the room. Filled with expensive sarees and silk shawls, she grabbed the thickest shelve and pulled it with a force. Half of the cupboard tore away from the other half after a thud. The detached part of the cupboard gave way to another door—to a secret pathway.

Built more than a hundred years ago by then ruler of the kingdom, the secret pathway was an escape route during battles. The pathway goes down a few flights of steep stairs, passes under the huge royal courtyard and a few blocks of building before it reaches to the end, the watchtower. At the end, the passage splits into two; one up the old tower and the other to a connecting secret tunnel heading to the west part of the land which have been kept locked. This particular secret passage was however forgotten and had been erased from the palace's record yet was accidentally founded by Alli.

It was a secret place she needed the most in the huge and watchful palace. After eight flights up the secret stairs of the watchtower, she held her knees in support for the excessive climb and panted for air, ignoring the pungent smell filled the closed space.

"So much work to give a small instruction," she groaned as she used the end of her silk shawl to wipe the sweat off her forehead. "No pain, no gain, Alli."

She reached the only door in the tower, "Old man! It's time to send the message to your dear friend," Alli's voice rang in the room, with a loud slam of the door. Her sudden presence startled Kovalan whom she had called old man.

Tall in height, the man bowed in fear. "Yes, devi." He paced to the nearby desk, his firm hand held the quill and scribbled a brief note as instructed. Securing the rolled note with a thread to a pigeon's leg, lines of worry marred his forehead as he released the pigeon to its home destination carrying the message. He watched the pigeon flew away towards the dark sky in the east and then braced himself for future events that would unfold.

"I too shall take my leave, devi," he said in a crackly voice and bow down hiding the hatred fuming in him for Alli.

She dismissed him with a waft of her hand and minced around the square. Twisting a stray strand of her hair around her index finger, a sly smile adorned her moist lips hidden behind the scarf. With her gaze filled in definite victory, she cheered, "Oh, I can't wait to see them cry for mercy. And I will give them more pain instead!" Alli joyously twirled around the room.

"Do not celebrate too soon, devi," another man who had been in the room quietly watching her, stepped into light.

She stopped, she knew the voice and for some reason Alli hated the presence of the man there. She acknowledged the heavily built tall man wearing a cunning smile and next to him, his assistant, a dwarf. Her partners in crime whom she hates the most.

"Ranganathan. What are you doing here?" She snarled, unhappy with the disruption. She picked up a quill left behind by Kovalan and twisted it between her fingers.

"Oh, am I not your shadow, devi? Haven't I said before, I'll be there wherever you are, watching you closely. Because I know the deepest secret of yours, and I—"

"Enough! What do you want, Ranganathan?" The quill in her hand crushed, evidence of her building anger.

"Oh, yes. What was I saying?" Ranganathan tapped his chin with a finger and turned to his assistant who seemed to be lost—daydreaming. A smack landed on Udumban; the dwarf screamed in pain.

"What was I saying, idiot?" He growled.

Udumban scratched his head while Ranganathan waited impatiently. The annoyed lady huffed unable to tolerate the nonsense and bolted to the door. The duo had always been a torn on her path and she often wonders why does she keep them with her even when she knew they would be a hurdle. Of course, paying debt for solace and help given in her initial days.

"Never—never celebrate early, My Lord! Never celebrate early," Udumban blurted to his master.

"Right! Udumban, you get to have an extra meal today," said Ranganathan before turning to Alli.

"Devi, I see you have started with the plan without me but never mind, we had to start at some point of time. But, as I said, never to celebrate early." Ranganathan circled her as he recalled a story. "I remember once, my friend, a peasant was so happy he got a cow as a gift and the thought to tie his cow flew off his head. He instead went around announcing his fortune. When he returned, the cow was no longer in the place he left it. The cow's whereabouts is a mystery even today. Now, you should take it as an example, Devi, never celebrate too early because we will never know what will happen next. This." He pointed out to the direction the bird flew away, "is only a small stone thrown in the ocean and we are to build a bridge. There is a lot more to do." Ranganathan hinted, grinning at the glaring lady.

"Whatever! My plan will not fail, that I know. Their down is certain! Durja will show their real place. I will show them where they really belong." The lady flung her loosen end of the green shawl over her and darted out the room, leaving the two men with a room full of pigeons in cages.

Ranganathan ambled to the window, looking out at the dark sky. His hand rested on the cold stone sill, "Of course, Devi. Snatchers of my throne will go down to hell," he seethed.