FORTY - FOUR

Mahina, capital city of Durja

The guards at the palace were taken by surprise to see their princes together for the first time ever. A month of only hearing the news of having seen the two princes mingle, the palace residence stared with an astounding gaze as the brothers trot their horses to the main palace.

The crowd grew quick enough as the wind carried the news of their return, Prithvi seemed overwrought with the sudden attention given. He brought his horse next to Dhruva. "Do you get this much of focus from everyone every time you return from a travel?"

"Focus?" Dhruva snapped out of his thoughts and swept his gaze through their surroundings. All eyes of the commoners, workers, nobles and ministers in the palace were on them. It took Dhruva a while to assimilate the reason for the curious and the corners of his mouth turned up as he leaned towards Prithvi. "I don't get them always but I sure know why there are more today." He winked and straighten himself back.

"You do?"

It was clear to Dhruva that his brother hasn't got the slightest idea of the sudden phenomena. Then again, Dhruva too had not known people had so much interest in the changes in their life. Although the scene was a never seen before they should not have to made it look obvious. His eyes fell of Prithvi's wounded fingers fidgeting on the reins. All those extra attentions must be too much to handle and they still have a long way till they reach the main palace, he thought.

"Hey, I have always done this with my Yujyagana," Dhruva exclaimed. "Today, it's a bet between the two of us. The one who gets to the main palace last will give the winner a treat. You in?"

"A treat? In the palace?" Prithvi asked.

"Outside. We will go to the central market."

Prithvi's eyes sparkled at the mention of leaving the palace and the wide smile on his face was enough to tell Dhruva his attempt to divert his brother's anxiousness away, succeeded.

"I'm in!"

And then they had audiences cheering for them both as they raced to their finishing point with hearty laughs and lighter hearts.

*-*--*-*-*

Had someone asked him which was his best day in his life, Prithvi without doubt would say it begins from the day he broke the promise he made to his mother and opened up to his brother. The action did not only get him closer to Dhruva but also had him open up to everyone without judgement. Every day since then had been nothing but joy. Their little race earlier was an unexpected event and it made him the happiest, it was something he had longed. Despite the wide gap in their relationship, Dhruva had given up his victory for him signified how much his brother treasure their new bond. It was a big deal for Prithvi when Dhruva had slowed down his horse at the last minute because no one had ever done that for him.

No one had given up anything for him not even his sisters. They have all lived a distinct life compared to most of the families in Durja, at least from what he had seen from his few travels out of the city. His sisters had always been busy with themselves, neither did they invite him to play when they were kids nor do they call him out for discussion of any sorts. Perhaps their mother's attention had been elsewhere that she missed the chances to see their disorientated bond and bring the siblings together.

Come to think of it, Prithvi realised he was not the only one who was neglected but not the worst too. His half-brother, Dhruva had gone through a far lonelier childhood without his real mother.

"A loner knows the pain of another. Like calls to like," Prithvi said softly. "You have me now, brother."

*-*-*-*-*