T W E N T Y - E I G H T

Yujyagana's temporary settlement

The dawn came with the clouds diffusing the daylight into a lazy morning. Most of the Yujyagana stayed inside their tent catching the remaining sleep in their cosy makeshift bed, getting as much rest as they could before they leave for their home. The day had come, Dhruva would return to Durja after more than six months of travelling through the northern terrain to Kavish.

His mission to bring the fugitives from Ilyadari forest to their families has been accomplished. They will return with the prince of Kavish back to their homes in some time, the survivors' bright faces expressed their excitement as they conversed with some of the Yujyagana in ease.

Prince Parthiban joined him at the small hilltop looking over the settlement being cleared up. The cold breeze brushed pass the princes as they silently watched the soldiers of Durja and the people of Kavish talk and packed their camps in a peaceful manner. A pleasant sight they had never seen in years.

Parthiban cleared his throat as if signalling his companion for attention. "It had been the dream of my brothers and mine, to bring peace to our kingdoms without bloodshed but it never happened. Kavish had its own trouble to solve, retrieving the missing people was and is a major part of the problems. Today as I stand here, I can see the start of two things. Peace and retrieval." The prince of Kavish turned to face Dhruva; a warm smile played on his moustache covered lips visible through his sparkling eyes. "We are grateful to you for the effort you have made to bring them back to us." He motioned his head to the Kavishians. "We are in debt to you..."

"Please don't," Dhruva interrupted. "It's us who have wronged you. It was someone from my country behind this heinous act. Bringing them back safely was my responsibility and finding the rest will be my duty as well. It's a promise." Dhruva assured, placing his palm in his chest as a sign of pledge.

"It was no joke when they said one could find a friend in a group foe. Just as how Vibhishana stood for Lord Rama against his own brother to uphold righteousness. I have found you and as a sign of the beginning of our friendship, this is for you." Parthiban took off a golden bracelet from his hand and put it on Dhruva.

Parthiban was convinced, the prince of Durja was a man of his words, a genuine person and deserves to be called as a friend. Although he had not discussed with his brothers, Parthiban believed they would agree to do the same when he tells them about the prince of Durja.

Dhruva stood stupefied as he watched Parthiban placed the bracelet on his wrist. The bracelet had intricate designs on either sides embedded with emerald stones in between it and a bull emblem in the centre. Moved by the action of the prince, Dhruva engulfed his new friend with a profound brotherly love. He was bestowed with a bond he had never expected to gain in the trip to Kavish.

Parthiban patted his back, laughing. "Alright, don't make me too emotional or I may ask for my friendship token back," he said with a pretentious scowl.

The prince of Durja nodded, acknowledging Parthiban's friendly warning. "If there were anything to happen between us during this exchange, this..." Dhruva gestured them and the bracelet on his wrist. "This would be the last thing I would have anticipated. A friendship, a new beginning for Durja and Kavish. Thank you."

As the clouds parted ways for the sun, it witnessed the children of the two kingdoms defied the term of revenge in their own way and forging a fresh path to peace and happiness without a war. When their elders had taught them revenge and rage enmity, what made them go otherwise? For Dhruva, he had the grace of his maternal grandmother, Queen of Haridra, who taught him every possible quality a warrior, a man should possess. Today as he stayed humble and righteous, the credit goes to Maharani Naavarasi of Haridra.