THIRTY-THREE

Sikva, Kavish

The swiftness of which the palace workers accomplished their work in less than a day was commendable. Although the last-minute switch of the venue to the private event hall had stirred a little disturbance in the arrangement, the palace coordinator managed to pulled it off well. A platform had been set up for the princess of Kavish and prince of Pareen for the ceremony and the chairs for the guests arranged in a semi-circular arrangement. The hall was setup in a minimal decoration with only flowers adorning the entrance of the hall and allowed the sunlight to lit the space through the open windows.

Royal advisors, council members, ministers, noblemen and their families including prince Abhimanyu and his entourages filled the hall anticipating a flawless event and a celebration afterwards. The guests of the event were entertained with live performance of the string instruments, the veena and the yazh while they waited for the king and the queen's arrival who should have been at the hall long before.

However, the king's delay aroused questions whether they kept the prince of Pareen in waiting to show their upper hand in the alliance or simply because there were issues to be sorted. The foreign guests were shifting on their seats impatiently while they whispered to each other.

Nakshathra watched the unrest crowd from the top floor of the hall with least interest. "Pathetic," she commented under her breath. Being born as a royal doesn't always involve in praises and well wishes, she had seen and heard many who anticipates such a moment to speak ill of one. These people do not give the benefits of doubts even a little and go on to pass unfavourable comments. They should be cut off from crowd like one does when they spot dry leaves on plants.

Nakshathra was well aware of the reason for the delay of the king and queen. Her brothers were trying to pull the last straw to stop the so-called engagement and she knew well it was not going to happen. Not until she pulls her weapons out. "Come on, anna. Quit convincing the king and let this begin," she murmured as she plucked one petal after the other from the strand of flowers adorned her hair. Nakshathra was made to clad a sky-blue silk saree Abhimanyu had brought from Pareen for her and was heavily ornated with golds. "Next time, maybe try everything in gold instead. From saree, jewellery to flowers," Nakshathra had grumbled as her sisters-in-law worked on her.

The royal herald at the entrance of the hall officiated the event by announcing the entry of the king, the queen and the crown prince of Kavish. From the expression of her brothers, Nakshathra had deciphered their plan had failed. None of them appeared happy nor calm. Told you it won't work.

As soon as the herald finished acknowledging the guests in hall, the Rajaguru of Kavish, a revered and almost a century old sage, took over to commence the ceremony for the day. "First and foremost, we would like to apologies for the delay in our arrival. We had an issue which needed our attention." The Rajaguru bowed just a little as a mark of respect to their guests. "It is with immense delight I, Rajaguru Varadamuni have been given an opportunity to commence this auspicious event. I, on behalf of the Heramba family would like to officially announce the engagement of Rajakumari Nakshathra and Yuvaraja—"

"I'm sorry to interrupt, Rajaguru." Nakshathra's appealing tone made heads turned to her direction as she made her way majestically to the platform. Many eyebrows raised and murmured curiosity to her uncalled appearance at the time.

She took a moment to register everyone in the hall from the disturbed and angry king to the smirking prince Abhimanyu and her brothers who reached to the stage one after the other for her unaccepted conduct. Their distress and questioning gaze fell on her as she scanned the hall simultaneously calming her pounding heart with much needed pause.

"I would like take over the stage for the day, Rajaguru. It's going to be long," she requested as she held the Rajaguru's hand in hers in hope he would not question her further.