THIRTY ONE

Sikva, Kavish

While Nakshathra seated at the top of the bell tower fantasizing about the man who had considerably stolen her heart, the man whom her father had decided to get her married was welcomed in a glorious fashion. Showers of fragrant flowers, traditional music symphony, a quick puja at the palace temple and lunch feast were arranged as a part of prince Abhimanyu's welcome ceremony.

The young lean man, tall in height, famously known for his attractive and arresting features swanked his way to greet his hosts. Flashing his toothy smug at his sister waiting for him with a tray of small oil lamp, vermillion and coloured rice, he spread his arms wide before bending down to Ahalya's feet for her blessings. "Akka!" He beamed.

"Welcome to Sikva, Abhimanyu." Ahalya circled the tray before him, smeared a line of thillak on his forehead and showered a little of coloured rice. She smiled ear to ear as she gestured him to seek the blessings of the king and the queen.

"I hope your journey was a smooth one, Rajakumar Abhimanyu," Bavaneswaran enquired as he engulfed Abhimanyu in an embrace.

"All well, Your Majesty. All well. With mama by my side nothing could possibly go wrong on my way," Abhimanyu winked at Parthiban and went on to greet the rest of the family.

It was not a lie when he said he had a smooth journey to Kavish with Parthiban by his side. Nevertheless, without his brother-in-law's presence outside Kavish he sure did encounter a couple of hindrance on his way. Abhimanyu's entities would have known the hidden meaning behind his response to the king.

On his journey towards Kavish passing through the forest of Lalitavanam, they were first ambushed by unidentified party. The entire procession was hurled and whipped by an invisible thing. Some of them called it a strong wind directed to them while some said it felt exactly like a whip but the only thing was, there were no whips.

Their second attack greeted them no sooner than four days after the ambush. In the gloomy, cold and swampy forest, Abhimanyu and his entourages set out to continue their journey after a heavy downpour. The procession was forced to take a diversion back to the jungle trail from the usual route due to a fallen tree. The invisible assault earlier had left them all in shock however, they progressed further. Despite their vigilant look-out for danger for two days, they eventually encountered another mysterious event. The elephant Abhimanyu was mounted on acted in a strange way even its mahout wasn't able to control it. It ran amok and finally got itself fallen into a pit.

The recovery process ate a few more days of their travel and their energy as well.

Famished from all the attacks, fears and without a long break enough to eat for the last two days, the Pareen entities gobbled every little dish left on their platter.

Ahalya watched Abhimanyu wince every now and then and when she enquired, he filled her with the events.

"Falling in the pit seems natural but getting beaten up by an invisible force... It doesn't make sense. What could that be?" She murmured as she gave him warm daps with towel on his back. "You are bruised everywhere, Abhi." She clicked her tongue.

"I know.... it's the invisible thing. But maybe ... a good company for the night will help me...." His eyes darkened, staring up the ceiling.

Ahalya's eyes flickered with rage and she swatted his back with the wet hot cloth, not bothered about his already bruised back. "Shut up, idiot!" A couple more swats made his way.

"Ouch!" He yelled and dodged an incoming hit.

"You better keep yourself in check, I warn you. You will not call any woman to your room while you are here. Get it!" she seethed, her voice turned lower, eyes burning in wrath. "And stopping calling anyone from now on."