FIFTY-NINE

MAHINA, DURJA

It's strange to communicate with you like this but I couldn't think of another way. I am too weak and it has pushed me to think for the future and here it is, my letter in your hand. I am certainly not sure what is my condition now as you read this letter but I really hope I am well and that I have simply given you this letter for you to read.

I have so much to say but I'll keep it short for my hand is already giving up on me.

First, don't dwell in sadness for a long time, you not only have yourself to take care off, you have a nation to look after. It is your duty and my wish for you to do so. Second, never once think you have failed. Know that we have achieved our goals; to bring peace between our two nations and bring back the lost people back home. You have done it. I am proud of you and thank you.

Here it is, the real reason for a letter.

I am truly sorry. I failed to protect myself. Neglected to keep vigilance and fell into Alli's trap. I am sorry, I have made you worry of me. It hurts to know that I might not be able to console you despite being there by your side. It hurts that being a physician, I healed a lotof people but not myself.

Rimyama. That's what was added into the temple water I drank every day. How silly have I been to have been tricked with the sacred water. I should have doubted when I was asked to consume it every day. Rimyama is an all-black plant, from its roots to its leaves are all black. It brings someone who consumes it close to fatality but doesn't grant it easily and so, the slow regression of my health.

You will eventually find who did this and when you learn about her, don't get yourself controlled over anger. Always come back to me, I'll be here as long as I can.

That's it... I can write no longer... all my thoughts are flying and I am unable to put in this letter. I miss you.

The wind had stopped blowing. The birds stopped chirping. Utpala was quiet with souls roaming around in silence. Dhruva sat next to the bedside, the letter on his chest as he watched Nakshathra breathe. It was what he had been doing since his return two days ago.

He had not gotten a wink of sleep and waited day and night for her to wake up. The physicians had declared, she had gone into a comatose state, alive but beyond sleep. They had prescribed air infused medicines and inserted a cellulose tube into her mouth to allow them to feed her liquid food and water. It was so much they could do to keep her breathing.

When the news of Nakshathra's deteriorating health reached him, he had left for Durja at once. Dhruva did not care to finish up their search, his heart and thought was with his wife and urged him to get there at the soonest. It took him several days to reach the city. By the time he reached Utpala, wave of sadness had hit the palace.

At first, Dhruva was numbed to the tears and grief on the faces he walked past. Then Prithvi rushed to him, lamenting over Nakshathra's condition and behind Prithvi, Parthiban sat on the edge of the bed hunched and his body shook—silent sobbing. Dhruva softly pushed Prithvi aside and faltered his way to the bed.

His pounding heart stopped for a bit when he finally caught the full sight of Nakshathra laying almost lifeless on the bed. Partiban murmured but he heard nothing.

"What happened? Why is she ..." Dhruva swallowed and looked at his brother-in-law, eyes red and wet.

"She fell into unconsciousness. They said she is in comatose state."