N I N E T E E N

Sikva, the capital city of Kavish

The evening breeze carried the smell of agarbathi and sambrani infused with the smell of ghee-rich sacred food from the temple. The Durga temple located close to the river Smiti, said to be one of the biggest and most favoured sanctuary to many in the city—claimed to be powerful and wish fulfilling deity.

Dhruva sat under the raised platform built around a huge neem tree not far from the temple and observed the residence of Sikva visiting the beautifully built granite temple. Intricate and marvellous design were sculpted all over the tall gopuram, the entrance gateway and pillars of the temple. His eyes followed a priest climbing up the gateway to lit a lamp at the top of the gopuram. Chants of Om Sakti reverberated as the people stepped out to view.

His mind flew back to Mahina, a Shiva temple follows the same practice, Dhruva thought how similar the two countries to share the practice yet an awful event between two individuals had turned things ugly and difficult for the rest of its people—its land. This has to change for good, a voice in him often rang, subtly reminding him to spread peace not hatred. A mistake cannot be undone through another.

Giggles of the children nearby burst his thought bubble pulling his attention to them as they ran around chasing one another. His lips curved into a smile, precious kids, may we present you a better kingdom before you children grow up to be a wise men and women.

Glancing up the dark sky, his mind shifted back to Durja. To the problem silently looming between Kavish and Durja creating tension to the very land he now stood. Has his uncle Megavannan found anything that could lead to the mastermind behind the illegal trading? He hoped his uncle have found something or they will need to keep searching blindly for a long time before they eventually find them.

Almost a week have gone by since they reached Kavish. First fours days he gave it to the farmer and the last three days... he simply wandered around trying to befriend a physician who might be able to take him to someone in the royal family.

O ma, guide me through to find a way to reach them. Guide me through so I could send the fugitives back to their families. Ma, I prayed to you to give me courage as I face them as who I am.

Local folks often says if the temple bell rings when one makes a wish without anticipating for it, the wish was bound to be fulfilled. His gaze shifted to the temple where the bell rang seven times commencing the evening prayer. Mother, your blessing is all I need. By the temple steps, Dhruva spotted the now familiar lady ascending the temple stairs courteously nodding to those greeting her as she made her way up.

Had his sharp vision caught her sullen, dull face hidden behind the little smile? He shook his head, the illumination from the huge fire pot by the staircase might have deceived him.

**--**--**--**

Nakshathra felt at ease after her visit to the temple the previous evening. The tiny piece of news she learnt from the fabric merchant brought apprehension, distraught and anger in her. She sat by the window watching the sunrise, trying to understand the reason behind the bubbling negative emotion in her. She had seen girls in her age be happy to know when their marriages are fixed but why wasn't she happy? The questioned remained unanswered.

Arunya joined Nakshathra outside the palace right after she picked up Arivu's medication from the arogyalaya. "Nakshathra, I have something to tell you," Arunya said as they walked their way to Arivu's house.

She hummed in respond.

"The palace maids from the maharani's wing said that the maharaja and maharani have chosen a suitor for you." Arunya cautiously let go of the information in fear of Nakshathra raging upon hearing the news.