T W E N T Y

Sikva, the capital city of Kavish

When Dhruva was done with Arivu, only the little boy's mother and Arasu waited for him outside the house. His other two companions—Viswa and Dhandapani, Nakshathra and Arunya were nowhere to be seen. The ambience didn't sit well, he deduced by the tensed look on his friend's face. Arivu's mother however waited for him to tell her whether his attempt to feed the medication, a success or not.

"Arivu is a wonderful boy and he had taken his medication on his own, amma. Don't you worry anymore."

The mother smile in relief as she wiped her tears away. "Will you come again tomorrow?" she asked with hopeful eyes.

"I will, amma. As long as I am in Sikva, I will be here when it's time for Arivu to take his medication," assured Dhruva, holding the mother's hands between his. "Can I know, why Arivu needs this special care? He seems to be a strong boy."

Her head dropped in despair, "he has developed a weak heart, son. He often falls short of breath and weak. Kavi Devi found out the same from the physician during the arogyalaya camp and she had promised to take care and give him the best medication available so he could play and grow up like the other kids. I believe Kavi will heal my son." She beamed with a renewed hope.

Dhruva was however confused at the new name mentioned, he asked for clarification. "Who is Kavi, amma?"

"Devi Nakshathra, we call her Kavi," she replied. "I should check on Arivu. Thank you again, son. Bless you." She left them and rushed into her house.

"Kavi," he mouthed the endearment, silently. The respect and admiration he had on her grew as he learnt more about her. Then he realised her absences, he turned to Arasu. "Where are the rest?"

"Finding Nakshathra. She was with us and then all of a sudden, missing. The others have gone to look for her. Arunya said, Nakshathra wasn't doing well," Arasu filled him in as they marched out of the lane and to the main street.

After a long search, they found her sitting by the river absent-mindedly. When Dhruva and Arasu bumped onto the rest in the mid of their search, Arunya had suggested spots Nakshathra often visits and they had embarked to every place. The final spot was the riverside farthest from Arivu's house.

Dhruva requested to Arunya if he could go and talk to her. The latter stared quizzically questioning why, yet he left it unanswered and waited for her approval, simply because he had no answer. It was an impulse decision, he wanted to know what bothered the physician himself, perhaps.

After a thought, Arunya nodded and waited for them a little further under a tree with the rest of his guards.

He made his way to the lady sitting in a deep thought. Nakshathra was engrossed in her world of misery, he observed her creased forehead, a clenched fist pressed against her lips while another rested on her thigh and her doe eyes staring far.

"You are here and we have been searching for you everywhere in the city." He announced his presence in a merry tone. Dhruva sat on one of the many huge rocks by the riverside and dipped his feet into the cold stream.

She turned slowly regaining herself, a soft angelic smile spread across her face. "Did Arivu take his medicine like a good boy or did he made you run around too?" she asked as if she wasn't miserably distraught.

"All good for Arivu but what happened to you? You made the others worried of you. What if we needed you?"

"I kind of had the intuition, you'll make it and I was preoccupied with my own issues that I just walked away. I did not realise I came so far from Arivu's house. Sorry, I made you all worried."