Chapter 1: Trial and Error

A strong headache is how Niki started her day.
Niki. That was her name.
If only she could remember anything else.
She had woken up in the water, the water, at the bottom of the ocean floor. She didn't remember anything other than her name. Why, she had no idea. She also had something scribbled on her hand, but it was fading from being wet. She could only see some words:
Wi____ a_i__, help _im an_ T_____
Thanks, whoever wrote that. Definitely makes sense.
She suddenly remembered that she was deep in water and started to panic. She needed to get up for air.
She swum up quickly to the surface, quicker than any normal human could. When she broke to the surface, she was surprised to actually feel worse. It was like water and air had switched places. She couldn't breathe above the water.
What the heck?
She swum to what looked like land and just stuck her eyes above. It was still uncomfortable, but she wanted to see if there were any people.
She saw some kind of kid- well, technically he looked like a teenager. He had small wings on his back like a chicken and had a confused look on his face. He wore a red and white shirt and tan shorts. He had dirty blonde hair and blue eyes.
Then he started yelling curse words, which honestly didn't make Niki want to go near him, but she figured she should.
She stuck her head out and he turned towards her quickly.
"Who the-"
She crawled out of the water, but then it started to feel less like sticking her head underwater and more like choking. She started to cough, bad.
"Uhh, oh shoot oh shoot, um, fish girl! Get off land!" He scooted her back into the water, and Niki felt a burst of relief.
She looked up at him from the water. Why'd he call her fish girl?
"Thank you," she said. "Umm,"
"Tommy." He said, putting his hands on his hips in a kind of superhero pose. He had a British accent. "The one and only! I think,"
"Why did you call me fish girl?" She asked him.
"Well, you've got gills and stuff. What, did you not know you were a fish, mermaid thing?" He stared at her.
"What? No!" She looked down at herself and saw gills on her neck, and fins on her forearms and legs. How did she not notice that?!
"Well did you know that you've got chicken wings on your back?"
He turned around and looked at his back, then let out a distressed, shocked, high pitch scream.
"AHH!!! WHAT THE HECK, WHAT THE HECK, GET EM OFF ME GET EM OFF ME!"
Niki put her hands over her ears. He seemed to notice that he was a bit too loud, so he stopped.
"Umm, well," she said. "Do you know where we are?"
He stared at her. "Fish Lady, I only know my own name! What makes you think I'd know where the heck we are?"
"You don't remember anything either?"
"You don't?"
Niki swum in a circle. "No, I just know that my name is Niki and I have some kind of writing on my hand that is faded and I don't know what it means and I don't think I was a fish thing before and-"
"Hey! Niki-Fish-Lady, calm down! I'm sure there's a reasonable explanation, and that someone here can help us."
She took a breath. "Yeah, you're right. Sorry."
"It's alright. Now let's find someone who can help us."
Then there was a giant boom that made the water shake, and Niki could see a trail of smoke from somewhere farther on the island.
"What the heck was that?!" Tommy yell-asked.
"I don't know, but I think we should check it out!" Niki yelled back.