Chapter 17: Who Lives, Who Dies, Who Tells Your Story

Niki woke with a start.
She swam up to the surface and looked around. Everything, and everyone, seemed okay. But she knew that wouldn't be for long.
"Techno!!" She shouted. He came running over, confused.
"What's wrong, kid?"
"I know who he is."
He froze, waiting.
"I- I saw what everything was like. Before we all didn't remember." She said. She couldn't meet his eyes.
"It wasn't good, was it."
Niki shook her head. There was nothing good about their past, other than she had known them at all.
"Techno, he's coming. And this time he won't stop." Niki said. "What do we do?"
Techno stood just a bit taller. "We let him come."
"What-?"
But just before Niki could ask anything else, Tommy came running over.
"Niki, I saw him." He said, panting.
"How?!"
"In, my dreams. He's coming."

"We don't know how to fight!" Tubbo yelled in protest.
"We know." Techno said calmly. "We're not going to force Tommy, Ranboo, or you to fight."
"Techno, we can't just fight him." Niki said.
"I know that."
There was silence.
"Well, what's your plan then?" Wilbur asked. He seemed more curios than accusing.
"We just hold him off. He can't stay here for long, it's not his climate. I'd say he can last thirty minutes if he has potions." Techno explained.
Scott stood up. "A bit ago I found out that I can do some kind of star attack? Maybe I can help with it."
Techno looked him up and down, then looked at Wilbur and Phil.
"You two can be distractions, this guy can shoot from the trees." He said bluntly. They nodded in agreement.
"How long until he gets here?" Phil asked.
Suddenly there was rustling behind them. They all turned around quickly to see the man in the cloak.
"Not long." He said. "Miss me?"

They were out matched, even though they were only fighting against one.
The best match for him was Techno, considering how much time he had spent in the Nether. He stabbed and sliced and dodged, managing to get some hits. But none were strong enough to take him down.
Phil and Wilbur were doing well at being distractions. They twisted and turned, Wilbur disappearing and reappearing underneath him, grabbing his ankles and causing him to fall. Phil flew around, gliding through the air and swooping just an inch above his head.
Yet they were still loosing.
Niki watched in awe. Her body still ached, and her eyes still wanted to drift off into another world. But she wouldn't let them. She tried to think of ways that she could help.
I could... I could, maybe, yell to distract him?
No. That was stupid.
Ask him about Ranboo and Tubbo.
"Hey Michael!!! What happened to you?! This isn't how they raised you!!" She yelled at the top of her lungs. Michael looked over at her, and Wilbur took the opportunity to grab him and pull him down. Techno went behind him, grabbed his arm, and put the sword against his throat.
It was all too familiar.
That man, with the mask. He had done this to him before.
But why had Michael decided to spread the pain he felt? It didn't make sense.
Michael struggled against him. Wilbur started to come up from the ground when he kicked him in the face, causing him to fall backwards, clutching his face.
"Ow.." slipped out of his mouth. Michael did some kind of twisting maneuver and managed to put his sword to Wilbur.
Tommy came running out, screaming something. Scott couldn't hear anything and was shooting blindly, and hit Tommy in the shoulder.
"Tommy!!!" Tubbo yelled, running out of the tent with Ranboo on his tail.
Everything had been going so well.
Tommy fell to the ground, but Michael didn't make a peep. In fact, his sparkling sword seemed to drop a bit at the sight of Ranboo and Tubbo.
Wilbur took the opportunity to put the blade up, causing him to fall backwards and Wilbur being able to get up.
His hood fell down.
He looked like a little kid, or piglet. He looked scared and lost, and hurt.
"Oink."
Techno looked down at him in confusion.
"This is who we've been fighting?"
"Oink."
Techno looked at Niki. "Uh," he said. "Is this who you saw in your dreams?"
Tommy and Wilbur groaned from the ground.
"We're still here, idiots." Tommy barely made out. Wilbur nodded in agreement.
"Right." Niki said. "Let's get you two taken care of."

For the next while, everything was normal. Tommy and Wilbur were healed. Why Michael had been the way he was remained a mystery.
Scott had started building houses for everyone, and now it was starting to look less like a camp and more like a small town of misfits.
A family of misfits.
Niki never told anyone about their past. In fact, she tried to forget about it.
And for the first time in both of her lives, she slept peacefully.