Chapter 8: Sick Day

Niki woke up in her small patch of water.
She felt really hot, which was really weird because usually she would feel cool and refreshed waking up. She also had a small headache.
She stuck her head above the water. Phil, Fundy and Wilbur seemed to be making some kind of breakfast with berries and what smelled like bacon. Tommy and Tubbo were arguing about some bees, Tommy apparently wanting them to leave but Tubbo protesting. Scott was watching them argue and trying to break it up while laughing. Ranboo was actually not far from her section of the water, staring at the fish.
"Hi Ranboo," she said. She had wanted it to sound more enthusiastic, but her voice hurt and she was surprisingly tired for some reason.
"Hey Niki," he turned to her. "You good? You look kind of sick."
"Huh? Oh, I'm... good." She said. She was kind of lying, but she just didn't want to worry anybody. And it wasn't like she was feeling really bad.
"Okay, if you say so..." Ranboo said.
She heard Phil yell to everyone that breakfast is ready, so she got out of the water and walked over with Ranboo.
Tommy was trying to cut in line in front of Tubbo, but Wilbur was telling him off. Ranboo and Niki waited at the end of the line while everyone else got their food.
While she was getting some breakfast Wilbur came up to her.
"Hey, you good?" He asked.
"Yeah, why?"
He stared at her, almost trying to read her.
"You just look a bit sick."
"I'm fine, but thanks for your concern." She said politely. He nodded hesitantly and left.
Everyone was sitting by the campfire, which was nice because she got to sit near everyone without being uncomfortable.
She picked at her food. She wasn't going to eat the bacon because she was vegan, but even the berries didn't seem appetizing to her.
"Hey Niki! You look like trash, you good?" Tommy yelled to her. She nodded weakly. She had hoped that the hot feeling and headache would have gone away by then, but it had just gotten worse.
Phil looked over at her and glanced at Wilbur. She was too tired to attempt to sort out what the look had meant, but she figured it was probably about her.
"Niki, maybe somebody should take a look at you. You really don't look good." Wilbur said calmly. Niki was getting to tired to protest, so she just gave him a small nod.
Phil gave her a mini check-up quickly.
"It's just a common cold," he said. "You just need to rest, you should be better tomorrow."
He left and Wilbur sat down next to the water.
"How did you manage to get yourself sick?" He laughed. She tried to think back.
"Maybe it was night before last? I was out I n the rain, so..." Could she even get colds from that long?
"Ah, that's probably it." He said. "I'll let you rest. Get better soon Niki." And he left over to the campfire. Niki laid down on the soft sand in the water and drifted off to an uneasy sleep.

She woke up to her arm being shook. She opened her eyes to see Tommy.
"Tommy? What's up, it's like, midnight."
He looked like he was regretting waking her up, but he kept going.
"I had this dream, thing" he said quietly. "And it kinda freaked me out? I know you should be resting so I can just go-"
"No, it's okay. What was the dream about?"
He sat down next to the water criss-crossed and Niki sat up.
"Well I was in this room, and it was all purple and stuff. And there was this guy with a really sucky mask and he gave me really bad feelings, kind of like that green-thing did. And then it switched to just being really weird instead of creepy, and Tubbo got stung by some bees and then Ranboo killed the bees? And then I dreamt that you didn't get better, and then I woke up because it was really weird and I wanted to make sure-"
Niki stared at him, slightly happy. "You wanted to make sure I was okay?"
He tried to form some kind of sentence but it really didn't work for him. "Yeah..."
"Awwww Tommyyyyy."
"No! Stop, I just wanted to make sure, I'll be leaving now-" Niki laughed. Tommy laughed a little too.
"Look, I just think that I know you the most and trust you the most out of everyone so far, so..."
"I get it Tommy, don't worry." She said. "I won't tell anyone, this is between you and me."
He nodded thankfully and went back to the purple tent.
"CAN YOU ENTER A TENT ANY LOUDER?" Tubbo yelled.
"I'M TRYING!!!" Tommy yelled back.
"Guys, please..." Ranboo said quietly.
"SORRY RANBOO, TOM-EE IS BEING STUPIDLY LOUD!" Tubbo yelled.
"I THOUGHT WE MADE AN AGREEMENT!"
"YOU CALLED ME TOO-BBO EARLIER, SO NOW WE'RE EVEN!"
"FINE!"
"FINE!"
"Are you two done now?" Ranboo said tiredly.
"Sorry Ranboo." Tubbo apologized.
"Sorry Ranboo." Tommy said sarcastically.
Finally it was silent, and Niki drifted back off to sleep, feeling better already.