✍The truth

Prince Edrin's point of view.

I hated that local girl from the moment she embarrassed me at that cheap coffee shop or whatever they call it. Not even my father the King talks to me like that, but she dared to stand up to me.

I have to admit, she is very beautiful and has a body I cannot resist. That was why I made sure to have her in my bed every night but when I finally got my wish of getting married to the beautiful Verhamian Princess Beatrice, I knew I didn't need that girl anymore.
By law, I am not supposed to take on another wife but because my father would do anything to make me happy, he adjusted the constitution to favour me. On the basis that my marriage to Beatrice was for political purposes and the security of our people. Besides, the nobles hate Kira, so they did not object. But being with the Verhamian princess did not give me the satisfaction I felt with Kira.
Kira was so submissive, I could make her do whatever I wanted, but Beatrice is rigid and would never bend to my rules, her father is a powerful King after all. With Kira, I felt in control but with Beatrice, I feel controlled, Ugh! What am I saying?! Beatrice is the best woman for me, no one else!

That day at the feast I threw to celebrate the good news of Beatrice's pregnancy, I was not happy with the way she talked to Kira, but what can I do? Her father, King Roland was there. I could only send Kira away to save her from hearing more hurtful words. Truth is, I wasn't even ready to become a father, but my mother advised me that it would make me more qualified to be chosen as King.
I do not want that brother of mine to be chosen over me, so I quickly threw a feast to draw attention to myself. That night after the feast, I was drunk but I knew exactly what I wanted, or whom.

I remember opening and closing the door leading into her small chamber. I remember walking to her bed and tearing her dress and undergarments to shreds, it was obvious she was crying but I wanted to make her cry more, I just needed her to be mine after such a long time. She has the most beautiful body I had ever seen, her breasts so pointy, firm and round, I could never resist them. Her curves and every inch of her called out to me and I answered.

I was like a hungry beast devouring its victim without a care in the world.
But after releasing my seed inside her, I came to my senses.
'The Verhamian King could be looking for me', I thought to myself.
I quickly stood up, got dressed up and dashed out to avoid him finding out that I was with anyone other than his spoilt beloved daughter. Kira would have been in big trouble.

When the allegation was labelled against Kira by my mother, I fell speechless.

"Kira's right-hand maid saw them together with her own eyes and she is the one I sent to keep an eye on her for me. She would never lie to me".
My mother said with much sureness.

I didn't want the matter to be brought before the public, I wanted to confront her in her chamber but my parents ordered me not to speak or have any contact with her until they could gather all the evidence they needed. It was never their intention to hear her defence, that was why my father sent Jared away on some patrol at the border to keep him busy whilst we fulfilled our mission of conducting a fake trial and finding her guilty beyond doubt.

I was so angry that Jared had the guts to approach my wife but I didn't completely believe that the accusation was true. So it was a mixed feeling of anger and unsureness.

When she was being judged like that, I felt bad but was ordered by my father to neither interfere in the hearing nor support her in any way, saying it wouldn't be good for my image as future King.

I was told to play the betrayed husband role so that I could gain sympathy from the people and they would choose to support me without protest. I needed to pass 'the test of the people', the test of the people is a tradition that was introduced a hundred years ago to end tyranny, where the people get to confirm if they want the Crown Prince to be their King. If the majority vote 'yes', then he could become King. But if not, another great man will be chosen. And I had done so much up to this point to make sure the throne became mine and stayed that way. That is why I hated Jared, he is overqualified for the position and a flick of his fingers can change the game for me. While he was slaving away in the fields, I stayed back home to learn everything about being King and the intellectual aspect of leadership. I used to think that my father favoured him over me but now I see why he kept me in the castle, to succeed him as King.