✍Our secret place

Kira:

    I can say with certainty that Predva is my favourite place in the entire world! The people there are so humble and kind. I wonder why my father's family left this amazing place to go live in Konland.

  One day, my friend, Charon called for me while I was working in my small garden. I went to her, thinking she had another gift for me. But she told me that Verthona had a new King and this new King wanted me to return home. I was curious. What 'King' would request for someone like me? 

***

  After saying goodbye to all my friends the next day, I entered the carriage that would take me back to the place I wasn't prepared to return to. The journey lasted for two weeks until we entered the gates of Verthona.

  I noticed a change in the people. They looked better, behaved better. I stopped at the market to buy some fruits. Those who recognized me greeted me, it was them who told me that Jared had taken his rightful place as King. I was happy with the development, it became no wonder why everyone was so bubbly and lively; Jared has always been a good leader.

  I finally arrived at the castle main entrance, Edrin opened the carriage door for me and helped me down its step. I was happy to see him but my eyes found their way to Jared looking as handsome as ever. I could see the turmoil he was passing through and I understood why because I was feeling it too. I wanted to hug him, but could not.

  I greeted Jo-Kwan and was about to ask why she wasn't home with her mother when Jared told me who she was to him. "She is my wife, your Queen..."

His wife.

"Yes, she is". His expression became stoic, it was as if he wasn't the same person anymore.

"Congratulations to the two of you, your Majesties". I bowed.

"Come, my dear".
Edrin led me to another part of the castle to a smaller room. He locked the door behind himself and started helping me unpack my things.

"Why don't we just leave? Why did you choose to stay here?". I asked him.
Feeling a little embarrassed from earlier.

He stopped what he was doing and faced me. "Jared saved my life when I was lost in the streets of Aakh. He gave me a new chance to make something of myself. Ever since that day, I swore that I would stay by his side and serve him till the day I die".
He came closer to me and held my hand lovingly.
"My darling, could you just forget whatever history you both have and move on like it never happened?".

"Edrin, Come on, it's not about whatever 'history' we share. I just don't feel comfortable staying here. Jo-Kwan must know everything, I don't want her to feel insecure".

"Trust me, they are both fine with it. Jared has moved on, you should too".

"Why are you saying it like that, Edrin? Of course, I have moved on, I--"

"Then, never talk about leaving. Alright?". He went back to unpacking my things.
Has he no shame? What man lives in the house of his former rival? 

×××

  That evening, we were invited for dinner. I politely declined for I was not in the right state of mind nor was I hungry. Shortly after, Edrin came to call me down to eat at the dining table and I refused again. He left me alone and went downstairs.

   When I was starting to drift into sleep, a knock on the door woke me up. Annoyed with whoever it was, I got up from the bed and walked unsteadily to the door, undid the lock and pulled it open. The one at the door was someone I did not expect.
"Jo-Kwan? I mean, my Queen?".