✍Nightmare

Kira's point of view:

I watched through my window as Grayson got down from his horse. He was in a hurry to God knows where. But Edrin was not with him. I wondered why.

Some moments later, he barged into my chamber;
"Edrin! Son! Where is he?!". He yelled like a mad man.

"I have not seen him since you both left together some weeks back". I answered.

He narrowed his eyes at me in a threatening manner. "You little whore. I wonder what you've caused this time. My son has known no peace since you set your cursed feet in this castle. Where is my son?!"

His words didn't affect me anymore, with a stoic expression, I replied;
"I didn't ask to come here. You and your son forced me. I am the one who hasn't known peace ever since I married your son, I have lost everything, including my children, so don't you dare blame me-".
When I mentioned my children, my heart broke again, but I held myself together.
"Tell the guards to allow me to leave the castle, Edrin ordered them to keep me-".

"My son's safety is more important than your freedom, girl.", He turned towards the door and left.

The search for Edrin grew more serious by nightfall. I wondered where he could be. Grayson had his men keep watch over my door. He assumed that I sent people to kidnap Edrin so that I could escape, which to me, is utterly absurd.

I prayed to God that he would be fine. I know I don't agree with most of his decisions, but he is my husband, I care about him.

×××

In the middle of the night,
When sleep was beginning to draw me in against my will, I heard a scream from somewhere in the castle.
I rushed to my window in the hopes of getting a glimpse at the happenings downstairs as the chamber door was still locked.
As I looked down, I saw soldiers running. There was smoke chasing them.

Did I see that correctly? Smoke?

Suddenly, a great wind arose from all corners of the castle. This mighty wind began destroying things and smashing men against rocks. I grew scared and confused. Where do I go?

A violent push against my chamber door caused me to jump up in fright. It sounded like there was a fight out in the corridor.

I stood frozen, like a statue. Thoughtless about my next move.

The heavy door was flown off its hinges. King Grayson strumbled in a few feet and then fell to his knees, blood was gushing out of his head and there was a look of fear in his eyes that I will never forget.

"Run, Kira...J-"

It was at that time that a tall, huge, masked man appeared behind him. He was dressed in black from head to toe, with a dagger in his hand and a black hood that shadowed his masked face.

He gripped King Grayson's chin and pulled it up harshly, exposing his neck, then, using the dagger in his hand, the man slit King Grayson's throat slowly

I covered my mouth as I watched my 'father-in-law' in anguish, his body trembled and his eyes grew wide open as blood poured out of his mouth.

Upon slitting his throat the third time, the masked man let go of his suffering victim who then fell into a pool of blood on the floor, shaking.

I stood as though my feet were nailed to the ground. It wasn't until the murderer snapped his head up at me that I realized that I needed to run for my life. I turned on my heels and headed for the washroom. I entered and locked the door behind me... It was too dark to see anything, but I used my hands to feel things until I got a hold of a stick that had been lying around there for some weeks. Thank God.

There was no noise from the other side of the door. It felt like the murderer had gone, he must not want anything to do with me. But I was too afraid to open the door.

Like a never-ending dream, the night refused to give way for the morning... After what seemed like hours, I decided to swallow my fear and unlock the door. I needed to be sure that I wasn't seeing things or hallucinating. Maybe this is just a nightmare.

I opened the door, Worst mistake I ever made! For the man had been standing right there waiting patiently for me to open!
I attempted to push the door in his face but he held it with his foot. He grabbed my hand firmly and pulled me to himself.

His skin was as prickly as thorns on a rose stalk but his essence seemed familiar.

He dragged me into the empty hallway against my will.

"Leave me!! Let me go!!!".
These words fell on deaf ears.
When we reached the stairwell, he flung me across his shoulder and walked speedily down. I felt like a helpless lamb, nothing I said or did was going to affect the situation.

When he exited the castle. He flung me off his shoulder and to the ground. The next thing I remember was losing consciousness. Plunged into a world of nothingness.

×××

I spent days blindfolded in a moving carriage, when I asked whoever was around where they were taking me, they gagged me as well. It was unpleasant but I did not feel like they were going to hurt me.
After days of travelling, I started hearing noises as though we had entered a city, the languages were quite strange but it reminded me of a Predvanian word my father used to say when I was younger... I could only assume we were in Predva.

He seemed to have arrived at his destination, for he led me into a warm house and made me sit down on a soft bed before he took off the blindfold. I could not see a thing for the first few minutes but gradually, my eyes got used to the light and I looked up to my captor. His face was still covered but his eyes were visible behind the mask. These eyes can not have belonged to such a heartless man.

He left me alone in the room, but shortly after, a plump woman came in and showed me to another room where she helped me take a warm, relaxing bath. Followed by a meal. I spent the whole time wondering if they were only feeding me just so they would kill me later!

My assumptions were confirmed when she told me we were in Predva. I felt so fortunate, Predva is my father's home country and he always talked about how the streets sparkled at night. Maybe I can get the chance to see that before I die.
Days went by and I was given the freedom to walk around the house, I felt nothing like a prisoner. When I asked about the man who had brought me here, the woman whose name is Charon, told me that he was just a messenger and it was his duty to keep me safe.

"Safe from what?", I asked her.

"Safe from the woman who wants to kill you". She replied but refused to shed more light.

Who is the woman who wants to kill me?

.

.

.

.

Author's note:
Hi everyone, sorry for the slow updates. My phone screen is not doing okay, nevertheless, I will work hard to finish the story!