✍Maybe

Kira:

   I woke up to Kora's loud cries and terrible pain in my head. 
The moment I remembered all that had happened previously, I jerked up and took her in my arms to calm her down. Poor thing, her throat must be hurting from crying for so long.

"Jaeigh! Jaeigh?!".   I went down into the cellar to look for him.  "Jaeigh, my dear?".   He was not there!

I climbed back up and walked to the door.
It was at that time that I saw Edrin on the floor...  "Edrin!".    I cried out and ran to him.    "Edrin, my love! Wake up! Please, I beg you...".         His body was cold and pale.

There was no time to cry, for I needed to find Jaeigh.  I walked staggeringly to the frontage. 
Desolate.  Not a single person was outside.              Jaeigh, where are you?

   I watched as the villagers began appearing from their hiding places and their homes. Madame Aimée and six other women came to me. She looked distraught, but I certainly looked much worse.

"Belle, I heard".       She embraced me.        "Word has been sent to the capital, Jaeigh will be found in no time".           She kissed my forehead.          "See, Kora is asleep, give her to me".     She took Kora from my tired arms.     "Come, let us go inside, Belle--"

"No. I must see Jared. He is the cause of everything!!".   
It was at this time that I burst into tears, all my pain and anguish coming to the surface.

"Hush, don't say that--"

"Madame...  He sent those men--".

"Quiet. Don't wake up your daughter. Be patient, Jaeigh will come home--"

"And if it was Jacques who was taken? Will you sit back and wait for him to be found?".  I asked her earnestly. I needed an answer, but she was dumbfounded.     "How can you ask a mother to do nothing? I must go to the capital myself and demand an answer from him. Hand me Kora--"

"No. You may go by yourself but Kora needs to stay warm and to eat. Go, I will watch her".

"Thank you".     
I headed for the capital which was a long long journey but I did not care. Foolish, you may say, but I was not thinking straight.
  I boarded a public transportation carriage that would take me and the other passengers to the capital.

***

   Days later, I arrived at the large market in the heart of the city. Things had changed a great deal, but I did not stop to enjoy the scenery.  When I got to the castle gate, nostalgic memories washed over me.

"Who are you and what do you want?".    A guard asked rudely.  He looked new, maybe that was why he did not recognize me.  Or maybe because I was unrecognizable with my wretched appearance.

"I need to see the King--"

"Go away, woman or I will take disciplinary actions against you".   He dismissed me immediately.

"Please, let me see the king--"

"I said leave! You poor beggar!!"