✍Soulless

Jared's point of view:

Who is death?
He is a traveller on an endless journey...
He knocks on every door for shelter but no one dares answer. Death is a messenger, a slave. Hated by those who love life, but an anticipated visitor for those who crave rest...
~Esther Oziegbe

I had fought in many battles, I had come face to face with death on several occasions but never in my wildest dreams could I have imagined that my own brother, Edrin, had it in him to attempt to take my life. The same Edrin for whose sake, I had stopped fighting for things that are rightfully mine.

When Kira told me about her intention to travel to Talehan for treatment, I begged her not to go. But as always, she chose another man's words over mine. As soon as she left my chamber, I headed for the underground meeting room where Victor and my other allies were waiting for me. There, I told them about my suspicion and they concurred. I gave them a detailed plan on how we were going to fool Grayson and Edrin.

You may be wondering how I knew about their plan, it is all thanks to my friend, regent Lischan, who gave me details of the arrangements between Grayson and Xhilan.
I knew Edrin had taken Kira to Aakh, but I purposely fell into their trap so that I could get them in mine. The man who shot those arrows at me was a man from Aakh sent by Lischan himself and given strict orders to avoid parts of my body that could be fatal. The river was the most dangerous part because it is unpredictable but I took the risk.

Unfortunately, I hit my head against a rock and suffered a concussion which led to my falling into a coma for a few weeks.

×××

I saw my waking up as a second chance to correct my mistakes. Mistakes such as:
• Being a son to a man who never for once saw me as a human but a thoughtless beast that did his bidding without question.
• Loving a woman who had other priorities, she loved the same man who hated me. I don't care how you choose to look at it but she chose to stay with him. That will always be the truth. She never loved me enough to fight for our love.
• Loving like a brother, the person who would never give up anything for my happiness. Even as children, he never cared if I was happy or sad, I was just like any other. Nay, he treated every other person much better than he did me.

The first time I received true love was when I had woken up in Lischan's home and found Princess Jo-Kwan beside me, tending to my wounds. She is the true epitome of beauty and love. She is brave and caring. There was something about her innocence that drew me to her.

That night, the empress invited me for a cup of tea. I honoured the invitation as advised by the Regent. I had walked into her chamber with a covered face knowing that Edrin and Kira were still in the palace.

The empress observed me closely, using words in form of riddles and parables to decipher my personality. I gave her befitting answers. She smiled when she found me worthy. I knew she was not to be trusted despite the innocent look she wore like camouflage.

"My cousin had told me so much about you, Jared, son of Dexter. Your reputation precedes you. Some time ago, you defended your people against men who poised as Aakhian soldiers--"

"They WERE Aakhian soldiers", I corrected. "Just not from the palace as I would like to believe".

"Don't tell me you think Aakh was responsible"

"I never said that, Empress".

She paused to take a few sips from her cup. Her fingers were unsettled,,, Tension.

She continued; "Before I make you King, you will have to work for me".

"I am King. I need not be made King"