✍Rebels

Five Years Later

Kira:

   "Come back here, Jaeigh!".    I whispered to my son who kept running frantically around the house.     
Just then, a baby's cry indicated that what I had been trying to avoid became reality. 
"Urgh! Now you have woken up your sister. What do I do with you?". 

I rushed to the crib to pick up my whimpering baby. She would stay awake all through the night, crying and making sure none of us got any sleep. 
"Shh, come here baby, mother is here".   I rocked her in my arms but she was cranky, so I sat down and breastfed her.

My son, Jaeigh, continued running around the house, playing with his imaginary friend. Even when I asked him to slow down, he never listens. I love him so much though, he and my little daughter, Kora, are my life. Jaiegh is four years old whilst Kora is just three months old.  God finally blessed me with children of my own and I couldn't be any happier.

  The door opened and my husband walked in with a basket in his hands. Jaeigh ran up to him and Edrin dropped the basket to hug his son. Then he came to me and his daughter who was still suckling.  
"How are you doing?".   He asked quietly so as not to disturb her.

"I am fine. Welcome home". I smiled at him.

He touched my cheek lovingly.    
"The farms did well this week. I brought home some fruits and vegetables".

"Thank you. Go freshen up, I will place Kora in her crib".

He went upstairs to have his bath while I laid my daughter down gently. Then, I made threatening gestures to Jaeigh to make sure he stays quiet.  I tried.

I entered the kitchen with the vegetables Edrin brought and put them in their proper places.
I was filling a pot with water when Edrin walked in and held my waist from behind.   "Let me do it, you go rest".

"But Edrin--"

"You did not sleep last night. You should do that now".     He insisted.

I took the offer while it lasted and went to lay down. Didn't seem like sleep was forthcoming, so I just rested my head. 
Some minutes later, a burning smell started coming out from the kitchen. I ran in there to find Edrin smiling sheepishly.

"Food is ready!!",   Jaeigh shouted excitedly and began dancing around the dining table.

"Shhh",  Edrin and I told him simultaneously for fear of waking Kora.

"Sorry. I wanted to cook something special for you".   Edrin apologized as he dished out the food, refusing my help.

We ate together. The food tasted good with a hint of a burnt taste but we enjoyed it still. Edrin is a good husband. I never knew he had it in him to become such a wonderful man.  I am proud to say that I have fallen in love with him over the years. He is nothing like his father or Jared.

***

   That night, we were all fortunate that baby Kora fell asleep early, and we seized the opportunity to get some as well. After I put Jaeigh to bed, I washed up and went to join Edrin in our bedroom.
   He was shirtless and seemingly dozing. I lied beside him and closed my eyes when unexpectedly, I felt his arms snake around my waist.

"You feel so good, my love"...  He sniffed my hair longingly...  "And smell so nice".

"Edrin, you know we need to sleep"... I giggled.

"Just a little, please, my darling"...  He begged like he was losing his breath.

I laughed at him.  "Fine, but you're watching Kora tonight--"