✍️Our only hope

Kira's POV

  Since that day in the dungeon, I had not heard from Beatrice again. Edrin returned and demanded that I be released, he did not care to look for Beatrice despite my calling his attention to her disappearance.

Beatrice's little boy was being treated like an outcast, even Queen Violet who used to be so fond of him stopped caring about him. I was not surprised because I have come to learn that in a world like this, anyone can turn against you in a heartbeat.

I took it upon myself to take care of the little boy. Even I was shocked at myself, the son of the same woman who ruined my life...

But when I look at him, I see the son I lost; he filled a void that even Jared could not. Edrin was against the idea of me taking care of baby Jude, but I had to make him understand that he is not responsible for his mother's wickedness.

Despite the King's decision to put the prime minister to death, the attacks persisted. The enemy seemed to just vanish into thin air. At that point, seven cities had been attacked with no single trace of the source. A meeting involving every royal court member was held, there the King put the entire plan before us and I must say I was utterly disappointed.

"Pardon me for interrupting, your Majesty... But did you just say we will have to escape? What about our people?". I asked, hoping that I didn't hear him correctly.

"Kira, I value my family so dearly that I will not let anyone terrorize us into fear. You can stay if you want to, but I have made my decision." He shamelessly uttered.

"I am sorry to say this but you are the King, your people should be your priority..."

"Spare me the lectures will you, girl! I do not have time for this. It is up to you to join us or not, but don't you dare fill my son's head with your nonsense, and make sure you don't bring that boy should you decide to come."

As he said this, everyone at the table turned to him at the same time, except the Queen who did not seem phased by what he said. I could not believe she'd abandon her grandson.

"Father, I know Beatrice did some heinous things, but that is my son, I cannot let him die by the enemy's hand. I did not say anything when you sentenced his mother behind my back and was also planning to do the same with Kira, but when will you understand that I am not a child anymore and I have the right to make my own decisions for my family? Jude is my son and he will no longer be treated as an outcast".

That was the first meaningful thing I have heard Edrin say since I knew him.

"Don't be ridiculous son, that boy is the descendant of our enemy, by law, he should not be in this castle, but your wife is determined to go against my wishes by all means. Everything I say is for your good, no less".

"I am future King, how will it look if I run when my people need me. I am not going anywhere, you should leave with mother, Kira, and Jude. I will stay back and defend my people".

I had never thought I would ever see Edrin this bold and brave, just like a real King, He has changed.

"No, my son, please come with us". This time, Queen Violet decided to grace us with her voice, laced with worries.

"I will stay with you, my Lord."  I held Edrin's hand and stared deep into his green eyes.

He had a look of pride on his face, which suddenly was overcome by fear.
"I cannot risk you getting hurt, what if I fail to defeat them...?"

"I will fight by your side, and we shall find a solution to the problem, together".  I said reassuringly.

For the first time, I felt so proud to be his wife. The rest of the world seemed to faze out as we stared into each other's eyes for God knows how long.